Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Activation server down now for 23 hours and counting!
Thread poster: Tomasz Poplawski

Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2013

I returned Studio 2011 license from my desktop to get it installed on my laptop for the day. The return worked. The activation on the laptop has not. I tried their alternative activation option, only to get the message that the oos server is down, and that an email message was created.
6.5 hours later, it is still not working. Except now the tab "My Licenses" shows the license is in use, which is incorrect.
So I am without a tool, with pressing deadlines, and with no technical support, even thought it is obviously an issue on their end.
How is that for the leading professional CAT tool?

[Edited at 2013-12-15 14:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
English
SDL Licensing Server Dec 14, 2013

Hi Tomasz,

There does seem to be some sort of outage at the moment. I’m sure the IT team are working on this and hopefully service will be restored soon.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Paul

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An Inconvenience? Dec 14, 2013

Paul,
I appreciate your answer, but this is a disaster, not an inconvenience, for a super-busy professional like myself, counting, somewhat blindly, on your software.
I think not having a life support for this kind of screw-ups is arrogance. No wonder my best clients among agencies leave SDL for your more user-friendly competition.
Even when they fix the server, I'll probably have to wait until later part of the week for my licensing to be reset. And I have 50k words in last stages of editing I cannot access now, I am supposed to send back on Monday morning. What do you suggest?

United Kingdom
English
Support Dec 14, 2013

Hello Tomasz,

I can of course understand your frustration. But at the moment the best I can offer is to convert any files for you, if appropriate, and reassure you that you won't have to wait until late next week. The licensing team are very responsive.

So if the licensing service returns to normal before Monday then you should be able to work without help but if not then please contact the support team by using the Solution Finder, unless you have a support contract. I just tested the solution finder and was able to submit a case so it might be a good idea to do this anyway just in case. This way you won’t have to think about this on Monday morning.

If you don't get a response quick enough please free to drop me an email and I’ll follow this up with the licensing team. Ignore any out of office message you get from me as I will be travelling on Monday, but should be picking up email on my phone and can forward any messages on.

But as I said, the licensing team are very quick.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.. Dec 15, 2013

... for your offer.

Please note that I have a valid license, and it is only your absolutely indefensible licensing policy, plus technical breakdown that prevents me from using what I have already installed on my computer. How is that possible that you don't have a mechanism to allow people to use the product you sold for quite a bit of money, while you handle your breakdowns? I don't want to use harsh words - but how is that even legal? This is my property, right?

kadu
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
exactly the same problem Dec 15, 2013

Hello;
I have the same problem. Have returned my licence of Studio 2011 to the server and on My account I could seen that it was returned. Yesterday afternoon I wanted to reactivate the licence on my new computer and I does not functioned. Now the server tell me that the licence is activated, but it is not so. What can I do? I also wanted to actualize from Studio 2011 to Studio2014 and it does not function. Now I cannot work with Trados. It is an desaster for me!!!
Thanks
Katiuscia

United Kingdom
English
Please try again... Dec 15, 2013

... this morning. I checked the access and it seems to be functioning correctly.

Regards

Paul

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What access did you check? Dec 15, 2013

I just tried, and it is still impossible to activate, the same exact symptoms as yesterday.
On the top of that, my license remains stolen by the system - it shows it is in use when I open "My Licenses" tab.
So 23 hours, and counting!

United Kingdom
English
I checked the access to the server... Dec 15, 2013

... that was not possible at all yesterday. If you still can't activate your license then you may have a different problem. Hopefully you submitted a request through the solution finder and then the licensing team will be able to look at this problem on Monday morning.

Just in case you didn't I have done this for you so you may have just received a notification of this. Hopefully the email you mailed me with is the same as the one associated with your license?

Regards

Paul

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... Dec 15, 2013

... it seems to be the same problem as yesterday. When I try to activate Studio, it doesn't tell me I have no license available - that's the expected behavior if the system was back to normal - it still just stops responding completely.
... and sure, I have a vanishing license problem on top of it!
I did log the case yesterday but I appreciate you doing it for me as well - let's hope for a magic touch.

Unfortunately, I don't expect much good coming out of it. A responsive company would come up with an emergency system for such situations, say a temporary code that would expire within 48 hours or something similar, realizing that I should not be begging you for access to something what is already mine while you're enjoying your weekend.

It is disturbing that SDL claims to understand translators' needs yet it shuts everything down for the entire weekend, as if freelancers worked 5 days a week, 9 to 5. This is just plain wrong.

[Edited at 2013-12-15 15:57 GMT]

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
German to English
Activation server is still down!!!!!!!! Dec 15, 2013

Enough excuses. It is not me, it is not my browser, it is YOUR PROBLEM.

Time that your customer service reached the same level as your prices!

Steve K.

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I was a bit harsh... Dec 15, 2013

Half an hour ago, I received the following letter from:
Gina Davies | Director, Client Services | SDL Language Solutions

T

> Dear Tomasz
>
> I am so sorry that you have encountered this situation and hope that I have a
> temporary solution for you.
>
> I have moved an order from my account to your account. It contains an SDL
> Trados Studio 2014 Professional license with the following license code
>>[removed]
>> Are you able to access your SDL My Account to download the software? If not
> I have also detailed below an ftp site where you can download it
>> ftp://[removed]
>> Please let me know if this temporary solution works for you.
>> Kind regards
>> Gina

to which I responded:
hanks, Gina.
I was able to install it, and it seems to be working. It will be a long night, with 24 hrs lost - but so much better than 48 hrs I would have lost otherwise, blowing 2 huge deadlines.
When you have a moment, let me know what would be the next step, I understand this is just a temporary solution

Tomasz Poplawski
773-725-2535

[Edited at 2013-12-15 18:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-15 18:36 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
There are no excuses being made here. Dec 15, 2013

The SDL MyAccount was down altogether yesterday.
This was fixed today.
You have a licence that needs to be reset... only the licensing team can do this. So even with an active licensing server you need to contact the licensing team.
If you haven't got a support contract then you use the solutionfinder for this.
I thought you could not do this after I explained how to do it and this often due to browser variances.
I logged it for you.
Licensing are back in tomorrow.

That's it. No excuses, you just need to wait until tomorrow.

This kind of problem only affects users who need to activate a licence out of hours and find they can't either because their linence needs to be reset or because our servers are down. The latter is less common, and neither happen in large numbers. But having said this we clearly need to address this and provide for it in the future. We will do.

Regards

Paul

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
German to English
Erm.. Dec 15, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

The SDL MyAccount was down altogether yesterday.
This was fixed today.
You have a licence that needs to be reset... only the licensing team can do this. So even with an active licensing server you need to contact the licensing team.
If you haven't got a support contract then you use the solutionfinder for this.
I thought you could not do this after I explained how to do it and this often due to browser variances.
I logged it for you.
Licensing are back in tomorrow.

That's it. No excuses, you just need to wait until tomorrow.

This kind of problem only affects users who need to activate a licence out of hours and find they can't either because their linence needs to be reset or because our servers are down. The latter is less common, and neither happen in large numbers. But having said this we clearly need to address this and provide for it in the future. We will do.

Regards

Paul

..thanks for that! If the licensing server was really working I wouldn't need to contact the licensing team. But it ain't.

Regards,

Steve K.

Tobi
English to German
+ ...
Still problems Dec 16, 2013

I'm really upset now. I wanted to activate my license on the weekend but the license server was down as already mentioned. Now it seems to be up again, but my account says that my lincense is already used. I cannot activate it, not even my unused additional lincense from the Plus package. Moreover, the form for resetting the license in the solution finder will not load. There is also no possibility to contact SDL without a support contract. I've already lost two days of work. This is much more damage than this license costs.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Activation server down now for 23 hours and counting!

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search