Studio 2014: filtering text by colour?
Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:13
German to English
Dec 15, 2013

Does anyone know if it is possible to filter text by colour in Studio?

For example: I have been sent a text to translate and was told to ignore the black text and only translate the red text.

This doesn't happen often, but it does crop up occasionally. Is there a filter (regex) that will blend out the black text and leave only the red text visible?

Maybe a page called regex for dummies would help ...

Grateful for any helpicon_smile.gif

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
What’s the underlying source format? Dec 15, 2013

Hi Nick,

You can’t do this in Studio... but if it’s a word file you could search and replace black text with hidden text and then handle the file in Studio so only the red (non-hidden) is shown.

If it’s XML you could of course do this with a parser rule... but after that it get’s a little trickier as there is no out of the box solution for tagging the coloured text after the file has been parsed.

Regards

Paul

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe an idea for the future? Dec 15, 2013

Shame about that.

Thanks Paul,

I figured about hiding the text in Word. But it would be more useful to have the option in Studio. The good thing about filters is that you can turn them on and off as required. So I would still need to know how to show/filter hidden text (which is also not a standard function, as far as I can tell).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It’s in the filetype settings.. Dec 15, 2013

... under common I think (not at my desk). the default will hide hidden text... so it’s not a display filter setting... it’s a filetype setting.

So if you needed to temporarily hide the text and show it again for context then this isn't going to help you a lot. It’s one or the other.

Regards

Paul

Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm, I thought as much. Dec 15, 2013

There is an option under "Common" for the filetype .DOCX, namely "Extract hidden text for translation". But not for .DOC (which is what I'm working with here.

As a work around, I now have two docs in the Studio project: one with the text hidden and one with the text showing. Not the perfect solution ... but it'll do for now. I wonder if memoQ could handle the problem ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: filtering text by colour?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search