Language Pairs Using Different Translation Providers?
Thread poster: hieuthao
hieuthao
Vietnamese to English
Dec 18, 2013

I migrated from Deja vu, which allows the use of file-based TMs both ways (I translate Vietnamese, so in my case that would be V-E and E-V). I'm disappointed to find that Trados doesn't allow for that, but okay now I'm trying to figure out how to work efficiently in Trados. I don't understand how to use the system-level (not project level) settings for All Language Pairs, English to Vietnamese and Vietnamese to English settings. Initially I put all my E-V TMs at the E-V Language Pair level, and my V-E TMs at the V-E Language Pair level, but that gave me all sorts of problems with the TMs mysteriously showing up in the Language Pairs Using Different Translation Providers frame rather than the TM frame, or not updating correctly, or not being added to a project. Now I've moved all my TMs, both E-V and V-E, to the All Language Pairs level, which I hope has solved the problem, but I have questions:

1. What is the point of the V-E and E-V Language Pair levels in the system setting and the Language Pairs Using Different Translation Providers option? When would I use those?

2. Where do I find decent documentation on more in-depth issues such as these? When I search online, the materials available are pretty basic.

2. I've love to hear from other translators who regularly translate both ways as to how they manage their TMs. I work in a pretty specific field and regularly reference my E-V TMs when working V-E or vice versa, but since I am constantly added to each TM I don't know how to keep them in sync with each other. Do I really have to use some add-on program to merge my TMs every time I want to leverage my V-E work to my E-V translations? If so, what is the easiest/fastest way to do this?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Pairs Using Different Translation Providers?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search