Studio 2011: is it possible to add a folder but only including specific file types?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 19, 2013

I want to add a folder with a large number of files to a project in Studio 2011. However, there are many files there that arent needed for translation, they just slow down the whole process. Unchecking the unneeded file types using File Types option in the project creation window doesn't prevent them from importing. Is what I would like to do possible at all in Studio 2011?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:15
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Why Dec 19, 2013

not just creating a subfolder and moving/copying the files for translation there? It is much easier to do this in ANY file manager (actually, it takes a few seconds).

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because of the folder structure and content Dec 19, 2013

Natalie wrote:

not just creating a subfolder and moving/copying the files for translation there? It is much easier to do this in ANY file manager (actually, it takes a few seconds).

Because the folder contains a huge and intricate multi-level file and folder hierarchy with thousands of files (actually, about 13000) that I need to preserve.

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
All the same Dec 19, 2013

It is easier to hide certain filetypes in a filemanager.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you suggest one? Dec 19, 2013

Natalie wrote:

It is easier to hide certain filetypes in a filemanager.

Can you then suggest a free file manager that I can use to easily copy a file hierarchy to an identical hierarchy, but including only certain file types?

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
For example Dec 19, 2013

Open the command prompt in Windows, navigate to your directory and type:
attrib +h *.XXX /s

Where .XXX is the file extension.

Of course, your system should be set up to not show hidden files.

Estonia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hidden files are not copied? Dec 19, 2013

Natalie wrote:

Open the command prompt in Windows, navigate to your directory and type:
attrib +h *.XXX /s

Where .XXX is the file extension.

Of course, your system should be set up to not show hidden files.

Thank you. Do I understand correctly that Explorer won't copy hidden files when set not to show them?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: is it possible to add a folder but only including specific file types?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search