SDL Studio 2011 - add a monolingual file as target text
Thread poster: Judith Imbo

Judith Imbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2013

Please does anyone know how to take two separate files (idml), the source and its translation into English, and merge them into a single-file project so that I can update the TM and read the versions side by side?

And/or:
can i take a Word file and paste into a target view in Trados studio? (I intend to dictate a translation into Word whilst away on holiday without the trados).

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:20
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Alignment Dec 22, 2013

Dear Judith,

The function you're looking for is called alignment. Studio 2011 still comes with WinAlign (which is quite dated and very cumbersome to work with). Studio 2014 has a preliminary (crippled) version of a new alignment software, which seems to work quite well, but lacks any possibility of setting or editing anything. You can look this up in the documentation.

Then there are third party alignment tools. LF aligner is the best one I've tried (certainly better than anything Trados has to offer), and it's free.

HTH,
kind regards,
Erik

Judith Imbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 22, 2013

thank you so much for your very prompt response Erik.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2011 - add a monolingual file as target text

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search