International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Adding terms in different termbases
Thread poster: Stevi

Stevi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:47
English to French
+ ...
Dec 22, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am using Trados Studio 2011 and wondering whether it is possible to add terms in different termbases while working in the software.
Indeed, there is one termbase chosen by default and when I add new terms they are automatically added to this termbase.
I would like to add terms in Termbase A, Termbase B or Termbase C (like for instance in Wordfast Pro).
Is it possible to do that and how?

Many thanks.

Stevi

[Modifié le 2013-12-22 19:21 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
No.. Dec 23, 2013

Hi Stevi,
no this is not possible (neither in Studio 2014). The only way to setup termbases is to add them in the list in Project Settings > Termbases. The first in the list will be the one in which terms are written to.
The sequence in this list is however important because it will determine which termbase is looked at first for term recognitions. The checkboxes on the left only ensure that terms will be searched for.

Also in the editor, when you add a term, the window that pops-up will allow you to add terms or cancel the operation. Unfortunately there is no direct way to delete entries, you will have to do it in MultiTerm.

Cheers,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-23 00:09 GMT]

Stevi  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Option: working in Trados and Multiterm at the same time Dec 23, 2013

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your reply.
You confirm my thoughts... but also give me a clue: Multiterm.
It should be more convenient to make entries in Multiterm as the software can open several termbases at a time.
I just tried to make an entry in Multiterm and the glossary/termbase has been automatically updated in Trados Studio.
This is better, but this entails to work in both software.
I would be curious to know how other translators working with several glossaries manage their termbases with trados Studio.
Any testimonials are welcomed.
Stevi

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
As simple as possible Dec 24, 2013

MultiTerm is probably ideal for terminologists. There is no limitation to set fields etc. and it's a good solution as long as you keep all entries there and you don't plan to export to various cat tools.
I even have once seen somebody importing the whole Langenscheidt into it, it's possible, but I have no idea how to do it (thanks anybody telling here!).

As I often migrate to other tools, I want to keep it as simple as possible: I only import by defining term entries and that's it. If I export, I chose tab-text format, but I can only allow this luxury because I have 1 entry > 1 translation; same entry > synonym etc.

Cheers,
Mike

Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:47
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
Yes it is. Dec 26, 2013

Stevi wrote:

I am using Trados Studio 2011 and wondering whether it is possible to add terms in different termbases while working in the software.
Indeed, there is one termbase chosen by default and when I add new terms they are automatically added to this termbase.
I would like to add terms in Termbase A, Termbase B or Termbase C (like for instance in Wordfast Pro).
Is it possible to do that and how?

[Modifié le 2013-12-22 19:21 GMT]

In my experience, as long as the different termbases have already been added to the project you are working on (or you can add them as you go) then you can add a new term to a termbase 'on the fly' as they say, but you need to move the termbase, the one that you want to add the term to, to top position in your list of termbases. What I do is I go to Project Settings, select termbases, move the one I want to the top of the list, and only then do I go back to the work screen to select the source/target term to add to that termbase.

Reading your question- I think this is what you are asking - Yes? If not, sorry if I have misunderstood!!!

Happy Christmas!!

Filipa

Stevi  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not practical Dec 27, 2013

Hi Filipa,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I use the same process, which is not practical when you have to switch termbases many times in the same file (too many operations to select the TB, then confirm, etc.).
For me, it is a drawback compared to other CAT Tools if they provide this option.

Kind regards,

Stevi

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Ideas Dec 27, 2013

There are at least two proposals for this option on SDL's Ideas site, which date from 1,177 days (as of 27/12/13) ago. If SDL are looking to de-Javaise MultiTerm, we might have to wait until that happens, though.

In the meantime, you can always vote for the existing suggestions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding terms in different termbases

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search