@SLD support - Trados on 2 PCs - solutions?
Thread poster: Enrico C - ECLC

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 20:22
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 25, 2013

Dear all,

Maybe it's been asked 2000 times but i'd like to ask again. I have the following situation.

Trados 2007
Studio 2011 (0 licenses left - 1 active)
Studio 2014 (not clear if i have 1 license available yet)

I now have two laptops and need to have a CAT on it too. So i was thinking if i can deactivate Studio 2011 from PC 1 (outside use) and install it on PC 2 leaving 2007 and 2014 on the old PC (home use).

Is this possible, legally and technically?

I'd be glad if Paul or someone from SDL could help me (also looking at my licensing situation).

Thanks a lot in advance.

And of course, Merry Xmas and an even better New Year

Enrico

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
Finnish to French
Freelance vs. Freelance Plus Dec 25, 2013

You don't need Paul to find out about the status of your license: just log in to your account with SDL and look under My Licenses.

The key is whether you have Freelance or Freelance Plus. If you have the latter, you will see a line that says: This license is supplied with Extra Activations. Here you can see my main license is in use, but the extra activation provided by Freelance Plus is still available:

Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:22
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
question about freelance Dec 25, 2013

Dear Dominique,

Do you happen to have an idea in the following situation: I have just bought the freelance edition in the group buy, but I'm still wondering - 1. if it runs on my virtual windows XP (it is on ParallelsDesktop of an old MacBookPro with 10.5) 2. if this old laptop gives up the ghost after a while, can I re-install the SDL on an other new one?

I'd appreciate an informed guess for an answer because I don't think there's a definitive answer. Thanks, and merry christmas, Peter Simon

[Edited at 2013-12-25 09:04 GMT]

Finnish to French
Studio in Win XP + lost activation Dec 25, 2013

Peter Simon wrote:
I have just bought the freelance edition in the group buy, but I'm still wondering - 1. if it runs on my virtual windows XP (it is on ParallelsDesktop of an old MacBookPro with 10.5)

I think it should work, but why don't you just try? You don't even have to activate it right away: it will work as the full Professional version for 30 days. I would personally advise against using Windows XP in 2014, but since it's old hardware with limited resources, it's probably OK as a temporary solution.
Peter Simon wrote:
2. if this old laptop gives up the ghost after a while, can I re-install the SDL on an other new one?

If an unfortunate event occurs before you have unactivated your license, whether it is a hard disk crash, your laptop being stolen etc., you'd have to contact SDL, explain what happened and hope they will be convinced and will restore your lost activation.

Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you, Dominique Dec 25, 2013

Good ideas, thanks. Merry Christmas.

P. S.

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That wasn't my question Dec 27, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

You don't need Paul to find out about the status of your license: just log in to your account with SDL and look under My Licenses.

The key is whether you have Freelance or Freelance Plus. If you have the latter, you will see a line that says: This license is supplied with Extra Activations. Here you can see my main license is in use, but the extra activation provided by Freelance Plus is still available:

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for the reply. But i think that wasn't my question. Maybe i didn't explain clearly.

My question is: Regardless of how many activations left i have on 2011 (I think had 2 and now i seem to have 0 for reasons i don't know since i just removed the software once due to a formatting), i want to know whether i can:
A) Deactivate and uninstall 2011 from laptop 1
B) Install 2011 on laptop 2
C) Reactivate the license on laptop 2

The scenario should then become:

2007 + 2014 on PC1 (Home)
2011 on PC2 (Mobile platform)

2011 is now totally unused sitting there and it's a waste. The goal is to have two Studios on two different PCs without having to buy an extra license which i think it's partially useless since PC 2 is going to be used outside 2 times a week but i still need Studio and another CAT with me all the time as i translate on the fly too when busy with else.
The principle is that if i buy the software i should be able to transfer it on as many devices as i want as long as i am using one at a time rather than have a limited number of activations.

I hope it's now clear.

Regards and Happy Xmas and an as Happy New Year

Enrico

Finnish to French
The 2014 upgrade is a replacement for 2011 Dec 27, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
My question is: Regardless of how many activations left i have on 2011 (I think had 2 and now i seem to have 0 for reasons i don't know

The reason is that your 2014 upgrade is a replacement for 2011. When purchasing the upgrade at a lower price (compared to a brand new license), you effectively abandoned the right to install and license 2011 on other computers than the ones it was already installed and licensed on prior to the upgrade. However, SDL will let you continue to use 2011 on the computers onto which 2011 was already installed. At least that's the way I understand it.
Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
since i just removed the software once due to a formatting), i want to know whether i can:
A) Deactivate and uninstall 2011 from laptop 1
B) Install 2011 on laptop 2
C) Reactivate the license on laptop 2

AFAIK, you can keep it on laptop 1, but cannot transfer it to laptop 2. You would have needed to do this prior to upgrading from 2011 to 2014.
Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
2011 is now totally unused sitting there and it's a waste.

Yes, too bad. Next time around you know you'll have to transfer the 2014 license prior to upgrading to the next version.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Plus version for 2 PCs Dec 27, 2013

Enrico wrote:

The goal is to have two Studios on two different PCs without having to buy an extra license which i think it's partially useless since PC 2 is going to be used outside 2 times a week but i still need Studio and another CAT with me all the time as i translate on the fly too when busy with else.

As I understand, the extra activations are in case of a hard disk crash or similar situation. If you want to run Studio on two machines you should buy the plus version. That's what it's for. I think it's only about €50 more expensive, which IMO is quite reasonable.

If you don't want to buy the Plus version, you should return the license on one machine and activate it on the other each time you need to. If that's not very often, then it would be feasible.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

You effectively abandoned the right to install and license 2011 on other computers than the ones it was already installed and licensed on prior to the upgrade.

I don't think so. That was the case of upgrades from Studio 2009 to 2011. Now, when you upgrade from 2011 to 2014, you return your old license, activate the new one in 2014 and that automatically re-activates 2011. You can even buy a new machine and install and activate both versions on it.

See my blog article on upgrading for more details. The comments below the article are also worth reading:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Notes Dec 30, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Enrico wrote:

The goal is to have two Studios on two different PCs without having to buy an extra license which i think it's partially useless since PC 2 is going to be used outside 2 times a week but i still need Studio and another CAT with me all the time as i translate on the fly too when busy with else.

As I understand, the extra activations are in case of a hard disk crash or similar situation. If you want to run Studio on two machines you should buy the plus version. That's what it's for. I think it's only about €50 more expensive, which IMO is quite reasonable.

If you don't want to buy the Plus version, you should return the license on one machine and activate it on the other each time you need to. If that's not very often, then it would be feasible.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

You effectively abandoned the right to install and license 2011 on other computers than the ones it was already installed and licensed on prior to the upgrade.

I don't think so. That was the case of upgrades from Studio 2009 to 2011. Now, when you upgrade from 2011 to 2014, you return your old license, activate the new one in 2014 and that automatically re-activates 2011. You can even buy a new machine and install and activate both versions on it.

See my blog article on upgrading for more details. The comments below the article are also worth reading:
http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/03/upgrade/

Hi Emma,

This makes more sense. I own 2014 Plus (as i always had).

Now the status on 2014 is this

This license is supplied with Extra Activations 0 1 1

Usage would be on Wednesdays only on PC 2 so only one day a week on average as i am out all day in that specific day and sometimes i can work like 4 hours to catch up with job i have to deliver.

But my idea was to use 2011 Plus which for some reasons shows 0 licences available (could be that when the licensing mechanism wasn't clear i messed up with installs and simply used them on the same PC, SDL could tell better if they have some record on that but the result is 0).

Anyways, yesterday i tried to deactivate 2011 from PC 1 and install it on the other PC and got a CODE wrong. Funny stuff, when i went to work on 2014 on PC 1 also 2014 had been deactivated and i had to reactivate it. Licensing on these products is a mess.

Other cats are simpler. You simply add a progressive number on your second installation and you're done and can work on 2 PCs.

I can't understand all these limitations on something i bought.

Assuming the situation above i may have one extra activation on 2014, although i am not too sure.

What is annoying is to have 2011 sitting there doing nothing.

Thanks for the advice and of course Happy New Year

Enrico

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't make much sense Dec 30, 2013

[quote]Dominique Pivard wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The reason is that your 2014 upgrade is a replacement for 2011. When purchasing the upgrade at a lower price (compared to a brand new license), you effectively abandoned the right to install and license 2011 on other computers than the ones it was already installed and licensed on prior to the upgrade. However, SDL will let you continue to use 2011 on the computers onto which 2011 was already installed. At least that's the way I understand it.

It doesn't make much sense. I didn't abandon any right. I bought a product and an upgrade of it later on which doesn't tell me i am abandoning the old one. I have 1 active license for that specific product and what i want to do with my purchase is transferring an old product to another PC and keeping the new on the current PC. Doesn't sound too illogic.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
AFAIK, you can keep it on laptop 1, but cannot transfer it to laptop 2. You would have needed to do this prior to upgrading from 2011 to 2014.

Again, before or after should not change anything at all. I own a license (Different license numbers from 2011 and 2014 too) to something i'd like to use on my machines, as i do with other products. Perhaps it's a right? Did you ever happen to install a copy of MS office over a new one and find out you have both of them on your PC? It happened before. So, either SDL overwrites the old one with the new one, or i assume that if i have two i can use both.

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Yes, too bad. Next time around you know you'll have to transfer the 2014 license prior to upgrading to the next version.

Too bad indeed! Next time i'll consult a future teller. Go guess how could I have known, months or years before, that this year i'd buy a new laptop! Without that laptop there wouldn't have been any license to transfer unless we're talking about teletransportation in Star Trek.

Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback. Wish you a happy New Year.

[Edited at 2013-12-30 10:10 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Studio 2011 runs under the Studio 2014 license after upgrading Dec 30, 2013

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

But my idea was to use 2011 Plus which for some reasons shows 0 licences available

Anyways, yesterday i tried to deactivate 2011 from PC 1 and install it on the other PC and got a CODE wrong.

As far as I understand, once you upgrade your 2011 license to 2014, you no longer have a separate license for 2011 (as you have seen), but it should run fine if you have 2014 installed and licensed.

As you've got the Plus version you shouldn't need to deactivate your 2014 license to use it on another machine.

However, if I've got it wrong, and you can't get 2011 to work anymore, then the best thing would be to submit a support ticket to SDL at http://kb.sdl.com/ . Click on the solution finder tab. Go to Download and Installation problems and follow the process until you come to a contact form.

Happy new year to you too, Enrico!
Emma

Taiwan
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're righ Dec 31, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

But my idea was to use 2011 Plus which for some reasons shows 0 licences available

Anyways, yesterday i tried to deactivate 2011 from PC 1 and install it on the other PC and got a CODE wrong.

As far as I understand, once you upgrade your 2011 license to 2014, you no longer have a separate license for 2011 (as you have seen), but it should run fine if you have 2014 installed and licensed.

As you've got the Plus version you shouldn't need to deactivate your 2014 license to use it on another machine.

However, if I've got it wrong, and you can't get 2011 to work anymore, then the best thing would be to submit a support ticket to SDL at http://kb.sdl.com/ . Click on the solution finder tab. Go to Download and Installation problems and follow the process until you come to a contact form.

Happy new year to you too, Enrico!
Emma

Yes that's exactly so. I do seem to have a spare licence on 2014. Now i am wondering if i decide to buy one extra license if i still pay the upgrade from 2011 or a brand new one as if it was a totally new 2014.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

@SLD support - Trados on 2 PCs - solutions?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search