Are there multiple categories of Trados?
Thread poster: Md Abu Alam

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 18:07
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Dec 26, 2013

In Trados related discussions I found the name of the software in different ways such as SDL Trados, Trados Studio, SDL Trados Studio etc. This raised a question in me - are there multiple categories of Trados? If so, what are these?

If there are multiple categories what should be my consideration while buying Trados?

I observed that clients sometimes require specific version of Trados? Does it mean that higher versions can't be used in these cases or higher versions doesn't work for this software?

If I buy a version now, will I need to buy higher versions later? Or will it I get the updating facility provided by the company?

If I buy my Trados from a person I come to know from ProZ.com's Community Exchange, is there any problem?

Md. Abu Alam

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Finnish to French
Some explanations Dec 26, 2013

Md Abu Alam wrote:
In Trados related discussions I found the name of the software in different ways such as SDL Trados, Trados Studio, SDL Trados Studio etc. This raised a question in me - are there multiple categories of Trados? If so, what are these?

SDL is a company, which used to have their own tool called SDLX. Trados used to be a company, their tool was called ... Trados. For many years, SDL tried to promote SDLX, but no matter how hard, few people were buying it. Instead they were buying Trados (which was the market leader) as well as other tools. So when SDL finally realized SDLX would never succeed, they decided to buy their main competitor (Trados). Trados disappeared as a company, but was retained as a product name. The reason for that is what marketing people call brand recognition. A bit like Tata Motors still sells Jaguars as Jaguars, because who would buy a "Tata Sovereign"

After the acquisition, SDL bundled their own product (SDLX), a few products from the company they purchased (Trados Translator's Workbench, MultiTerm, Passolo etc.) and they called it SDL Trados 2006. The next version was SDL Trados 2007. In 2009, they introduced a brand new product called SDL Trados Studio, which was supposed to replace the "old" Trados. However, many people still wanted the old Trados, so they also sold the bundle Studio 2009 + Trados 2007. The next version of SDL Trados Studio was 2011, and it was also sold with Trados 2007 (for people interested in it). The latest version of SDL Trados Studio is 2014, but it's no longer sold with Trados 2007 (even though some people would still like to buy it).
Md Abu Alam wrote:
If there are multiple categories what should be my consideration while buying Trados?

You don't really have to think too much about it, since you can only buy SDL Trados Studio 2014. Your decision is mostly which edition you should buy: Starter, Freelance, Freelance Plus or Professional. Most people buy Freelance or Freelancer Plus. Starter is a stripped-down version sold as a yearly subscription that lacks too many feature to be useful. Professional is awfully expensive and meant primarily at agencies and corporates.

Of course, you may also want to consider an alternative tool: there are many tools that offer compatibility with Trados.
Md Abu Alam wrote:
I observed that clients sometimes require specific version of Trados? Does it mean that higher versions can't be used in these cases or higher versions doesn't work for this software?

In most cases, you should be able to use Studio 2014, even if an older version is "required". OTOH, many competing products allow a sufficient level of compatibility with all or most Trados versions.
Md Abu Alam wrote:
If I buy a version now, will I need to buy higher versions later? Or will it I get the updating facility provided by the company?

Yes, you will have to pay for major upgrades (for instance, from Studio 2014 to Studio 2016/2017, or whatever its successor is called). Minor upgrades (eg. SP1) are available for free.
Md Abu Alam wrote:
If I buy my Trados from a person I come to know from ProZ.com's Community Exchange, is there any problem?

Check with SDL the software you are being offered is legit.

Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 18:07
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mr Dominique Pivard. Dec 27, 2013

Thank you Mr. Dominique Pivard for your detailed information. I really got what I wanted.

[Edited at 2013-12-27 00:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there multiple categories of Trados?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search