Upgrading to Studio 2014 with Windows 8
Thread poster: Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:26
English to French
Dec 26, 2013

I just bought a new computer with Windows 8 and would like to upgrade my Studio 2009 (installed on my OLD computer) into a 2014 version.
Can I upgrade on my old computer and then reinstalled on my new one, knowing that studio 2009 is not compatible with Windows 8

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
compatibility Dec 26, 2013

hi there,
what I would do is leave Studio 2009 on your old computer, and install Studio 2014 in your new one. you won't need Studio 2009 at all when you start using Studio 2014.

anyway, don't uninstall Studio 2009 after buying the upgrade to Studio 2014 because if you do, you won't be able to reinstall and activate it again in any computer.

good luck! I find Studio 2014 is really neat.

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:26
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 26, 2013

So you think I can install the upgrade directly on the new one even if Studio 2009 is not installed on it

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes Dec 26, 2013

Christiane Lalonde wrote:

So you think I can install the upgrade directly on the new one even if Studio 2009 is not installed on it

of course! the upgrade is actually a new application, not a Service Pack to Studio 2009 or a patch. you will have to log on to your SDL account > My Licences, and there you will find an instruction in red font, I think, saying you should process or upgrade your licence. (after upgrading the licence, your activation code for Studio 2014 will appear; that is the numeric code you should enter in the Activation wizard during installation.

it is after this upgrading process when you lose your licence for Studio 2009. no need to uninstall it. it will continue working! you just won't be able to activate it again, but it will remain activated if it already is.

happy installing!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading to Studio 2014 with Windows 8

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »