Unable to open Excel file with all 3 Trados versions (2007, 2009 & 2011 (SP2))):
Thread poster: Carmen Köhler

Carmen Köhler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:17
Spanish to German
+ ...
Dec 30, 2013

Dear all,

I tried to open an excel file (1.5 MB) with my 3 different versions of Trados, but every time Trados can't open the file and crashes, displaying the errors: "Could not find part of the path: ..." or "system out of memory exception".

I alreay read all the other recommendations regarding this topic in this Forum but couldn't find a solution.
I already tried to:

- Reset the user settings
- Inactivate Autosuggest and Autopropagate
- Restart the system
- save the file in a new folder

but nothing worked.
My OS ist Windows Vista.

I also noticed that the memory usage by Trados kept increasing dramatically during opening and exceeded 1 GB before the error message appeared.

Any help is very welcome!
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:17
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Try saving as Dec 31, 2013

Have you tried saving the Excel file in another format, i.e. if it is an xlsx file save as .xls or even a macro-enabled version, .xlsm.

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Dec 31, 2013

Many thanks, Hazel.
I already tried that, but it didn't work either.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Carmen Dec 31, 2013

As you say you have tried to re-save the file in another format I assume you are able to open it in Excel? What does the file look like? In other words: is it a "normal" file with spreadsheets or does it contain anything else? It's content may be the culprit.

And one more idea: does the filename contain any unusual characters? Try renaming the file with some short and simple name.

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Dec 31, 2013

Natalie.
Yes, I can open the file with Excel without problems and the file name doesn't contain any weird characters. I already tried re-naming the file and I tried to save the file content in another file.
But you're right, the file contains a lot of comments - could that be the problem?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Well, who knows?.. Dec 31, 2013

Do you need to translate these comments? If not, maybe you could copy the contents that should be translated into a new spreadsheet. Or maybe you could tell the client that you have problems with the file? Most probably they could provide you with a copy without the comments...

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Hiding part of the text maybe? Dec 31, 2013

Hi Carmen,
I know that in MS-Word & MS-Excel it's possible to hide part of the text, and then import the file by activating / de-activating "Import Hidden text" or similar in the File Type Options of the CAT tool. You would then de-activate this option and import.

In MS-Word this is done by selecting the text and chose Format > Zeichen (Fonts?) > Ausgeblendet (Hide?). Or you can also hide with Search/Replace. I don't know how it works in MS-Excel, but it's possible too, probably with the same commands.

If the content of the file is the culprit, then this should help.

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2013-12-31 17:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-12-31 18:04 GMT]

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, Dec 31, 2013

Mike!
Many thanks for the useful hint! I'll definitely try it.

Thank you for your help so far Mike, Natalie and Hazel - have a nice New Year's Eve!

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:17
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Several worksheets? Dec 31, 2013

Trados does not handle files with several worksheets. You need to save each worksheet separately as an individual file, and then put Humpty-Dumpty together again before you deliver.
This, of course, is a pain.
HTH,

[Edited at 2013-12-31 21:49 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Of course Studio can handle multiple worksheets. Jan 1, 2014

Hi,

I’m not sure why you think this but a workbook containing multiple worksheets isn't a problem at all. I’m using the name Studio because Trados is a misleading name and for me it’s usually used to refer to the older legacy versions of the products.

However, even TagEditor can handle a workbook with multiple worksheets, so I doubt this is the problem here.

If you are able to share the file I can try it and see whether the file itself is causing the problem?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paul, Jan 2, 2014

that sounds fantastic!

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:17
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Experienced the same problem recently Jan 2, 2014

[quote]SDL Support wrote:
I’m not sure why you think this but a workbook containing multiple worksheets isn't a problem at all. I’m using the name Studio because Trados is a misleading name and for me it’s usually used to refer to the older legacy versions of the products.

I also experienced this problem. I could not open an Excel file with 7 worksheets and had to break them down into separate files.

I tried again with the same file for test purposes, and still could not open it. I could convert it to translatable format, but I could not open it in the Editor.

Then I deleted the old project entirely and recreated it. This time it worked.

Thanks for the help, Paul!

[Edited at 2014-01-02 12:38 GMT]

Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Meanwhile Jan 2, 2014

Paul had a look at the file and it was really its size which caused the trouble.

Many thanks to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open Excel file with all 3 Trados versions (2007, 2009 & 2011 (SP2))):

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search