How do I change "Created By:" in the TM settings?
Thread poster: Heather McCrae

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:49
Member (2012)
German to English
Jan 3, 2014

Hi, at the moment all TM entries are being saved with the setting "Created By:" Administrator. How can I change this so that all entries in all my TMs are "Created by" with a name of my choice (i.e. HJM).

Or is it only possible to set this up when a new TM is being created?
I am using SDL 2011

Direct link Reply with quote

Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
German to English
+ ...
Have you seen this thread? Jan 3, 2014

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149428-customize_user_id_in_studio_2009_freelance.html

Apparently you can't do it in SDL 2011, you have to change your Windows computer name (assuming that you're using Windows). The link on how to do this is here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-your-computer-name

Hope this helps!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not possible in 2009 or 2011 Jan 3, 2014

You can change your user ID in Studio 2014. It's a new feature in 2014, so I'm afraid it doesn't apply to Studio 2009 or 2011.

To do it in Studio 2014, got to File Tab>Setup>Users.
For more details, see my blog post on new features in 2014: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/10/01/studio-2014-part-1/

It doesn't help you, Heather, unless you decide to upgrade to Studio 2014. Maybe this gives you an extra reason to upgrade?

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Or use a TM manager... Jan 3, 2014

Hi Heather,
as said it's not possible with Studio versions < 2014, but you still can of course use a TM manager to change the attributes. For example with Olifant which is freely available.
You could also export your TM from Studio in TMX and then edit the TMX file, but you'll have to know what you do, be sure to keep a backup of your TM!

Greets,
Mike

P.S.
I'm not sure, but Studio may overwrite the User entry at re-import (when you create a new TM and then import from your modified one.) In this case, my proposition is not a solution.

[Edited at 2014-01-03 13:53 GMT]

Heather McCrae  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 3, 2014

thanks for the tips
I've changed the computer name, so hope all goes well when I turn the PC on again tomorrow
if not, I will be back! Will have to see how it affects the TM entries afterwards.
I will try to remember to provide feedback here.
regards
Heather

MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Hummm... Jan 3, 2014

Heather,
that's not a good idea:
this may create havoc with your current licenses... Please check that and revert immediately if your licenses are not valid anymore (or if other programs stop working).

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I change "Created By:" in the TM settings?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search