Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
HELP!!! SDL Trados Studio 2009 won't start!
Thread poster: Karolina Cywka

Karolina Cywka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2014

Dear Proz forum users, please help! I do not know what is happening but I cannot start my SDL Trados 2009 software, it was working normal before but I had another computer problem and I used the system restore function to restore the computer settings to an earlier date due to malware that I installed with Java update - nation zoom. Now browsers work normally but Trados will not start, it looks as if it the software was activated and then when I read the command "Showing application window" all simply disappears... Trados Multiterm is working normally.... I have not modified the software in any way for months... I really do not know what to do, please help...

Direct link Reply with quote

Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:34
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Repair or reinstall Jan 4, 2014

Karolina Cywka wrote:

Dear Proz forum users, please help! I do not know what is happening but I cannot start my SDL Trados 2009 software, it was working normal before but I had another computer problem and I used the system restore function to restore the computer settings to an earlier date due to malware that I installed with Java update - nation zoom. Now browsers work normally but Trados will not start, it looks as if it the software was activated and then when I read the command "Showing application window" all simply disappears... Trados Multiterm is working normally.... I have not modified the software in any way for months... I really do not know what to do, please help...

Hi Karolina,

Did you try to reinstall the whole software? If you restore the PC to a previous instance sometimes Studio, Office and other softare may not work well and may need a repair.
So you can either go to the folder where the original .exe file of Studio was and simply double click on it to reinstall or repair the installation or go to Control panel-Programs and from there find the SDL Studio item and then click on the option to Change/restore the software.

I did that countless times including yesterday on a new PC that has issues and forced me to do exactly the same as you did.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Enrico

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still does not work even after reinstallation Jan 4, 2014

I have reinstalled Trados and tried the repair function but it did not help, I still have the error command "failed to initialize view "Editor View"

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
For this error you probably need a reset.... Jan 4, 2014

... Could you please try the following and let me know if it solves the problem.

1. Exit SDL Trados Studio.
  2. Browse to the relevant directory.
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]
    - Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[VERSIONNUMBER]
  3. Here you find the following 3 files:
    - BaseSettings.xml
    - plugincache.xml
    - UserSettings.xml
  4. Delete all 3 files.

This will reset SDL Trados Studio to the factory defaults but may resolve the problem.

In case you cannot see the "AppData" folder, make sure that your folder view is set to "display hidden system folders." Here are step-by-step instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

Regards

Paul

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Enrico and Paul for your help! Jan 4, 2014

Hello Paul, thank you so much for detailed instructions, I have opened the relevant directory and apart from the files you listed I have also UserSettings.xml.bak - shall I delete it as well?

United Kingdom
English
It looks to me... Jan 4, 2014

... as though you’ve done this before and you (or someone else) backed up the originals. The bak file isn't used at all so you can just ignore this.

Regards

Paul

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Enrico and Paul for your help! Jan 4, 2014

Hello Paul, thank you so much! I am so grateful for your help!
Trados works now! Of course all the projects I have been working on are not displayed but I guess this is normal and I can find them anyway saved on my computer, but I cannot open them since I have an error command again which reads "Unsupported project file version detected: 3.1.0.0. The project cannot be loaded." Should I now delete all the old project files so there are no more problems?

[Zmieniono 2014-01-04 17:30 GMT]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another problem Jan 4, 2014

Trados has been started,the editor window opens but I cannot create any new project file nor open the old ones, it says again there is an error

[Zmieniono 2014-01-04 18:39 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Delete projects.xml Jan 4, 2014

Try deleting your projects.xml file. To do this:

Close Studio.
Delete projects.xml file here:
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]Application Data\SDL\SDL Trados Studio
Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects

Your project list will disappear when you re-open Studio but you can retrieve your projects by going to File > Open > Project and browsing to their location.

Hope this helps,
Emma

United Kingdom
English
Maybe also update... Jan 4, 2014

... Studio to the latest version. You said you restored your computer to an earlier date so perhaps this may explain why the version numbers of your Projects won't load when you try to open them with an older build?

Use the KB to check this :

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3229&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Regards

Paul

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados version Jan 4, 2014

Hello again, I have just checked and I have now SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP1 instead of SP3, maybe the whole problem is about this, what shall I do on the given website?

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3229&source=article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3229

United Kingdom
English
You need to go to your Account... Jan 4, 2014

... and download the installer for SP3. This KB article explains this part better now you have narrowed down the problem a little... and I think this is very likely to be the issue you are experiencing since restoring your system to an older build.

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=3314&source=article&c=12&cid=23

Also a good idea to uninstall the current version first, and also remove the xml files you previously removed to make sure it’s a nice clean install. Don't forget to return your license first.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-01-04 22:27 GMT]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Jan 5, 2014

@ Paul and other helpful Proz users

I have uninstalled Trados Studio SP1 version and removed the xml files from

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[Karolina]\AppData\Roaming\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\[9.1.0.0]

then I installed the SDL Trados SP3 version 1.3.2307.0, I ran the update of the version, which according to the information in the window that appeared at the end of this process, was completed successfully and Trados again looks like the application is activated and then suddenly it gets closed this time direcly after the command "executing 'setup wizard"(( so it makes me think there may be is something wrong with the Trados wizard.... I have no idea....((

[Zmieniono 2014-01-05 00:55 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
I don’t think there is.... Jan 5, 2014

... something wrong with the wizard or this would happen with every installation. I think the best thing to do now is log a case with support so that an Engineer can take a look at your system next week. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I use SDL Trados Studio and/or SDL MultiTerm 2009, 2011 or 2014
-- The installation went fine, but now I get an error message etc...
--- The problem occurs in SDL Trados Studio 2009
---- None of the articles resolved my problem

Follow the route for your problem as above and by the time you get to the end you'll be presented with a form to contact support. Complete all the fields in the form making sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-01-05 07:37 GMT]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 5, 2014

thank you Paul, I will do that, also today on starting my system even before activation of Trados I got the XML Parsing Error whilst parsing the xml. I have checked the file Widget Settings and it has 0 KB so it looks there is something wrong with it. It is also written "the lack of the main element". I have got the solution for this from the SDL LanguageTechnologies Knowledgebase where they say to delete this element.

[Zmieniono 2014-01-05 10:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP!!! SDL Trados Studio 2009 won't start!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search