Moving Studio 2011 Keyboard Shortcuts to New Laptop
Thread poster: JoelD

JoelD  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Japanese to English
Jan 6, 2014

Just got a new computer.

I am familiar with the license deactivation/reactivation process, and I am pretty sure I can move Project Templates just by copying them to the right folder on the new machine but...

Is there any way to transfer Keyboard Shortcuts and display settings to a new machine? I recall several weeks of tweaking after my last transfer.

It's been several years since I moved Trados to a new computer, so any advice is welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
User profile Jan 6, 2014

Customised shortcuts and window layout are saved in your user profile.

You can export your profile by going to File>Setup>Manage user profile. Follow the wizard and save your profile to a pendrive so you can import it on your new computer.
HTH,
Emma

JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Emma Jan 6, 2014

Thank you Emma--exactly what I needed to know

JoelD  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Can't update Templates--FIXED Jan 10, 2014

I think I fixed this thank to this

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/227974-error_in_studio_2011_translation_memory_not_found.html#1973146

I still don't understand why, after altering my templates, they wouldn't overwrite the template files. Seems to be working now.

------------

Thanks to Emma I moved my settings and profile info with no problem.

I cut and paste my templates to the new machine, and as expected, Trados couldn't find the Termbases and TMs because of different paths the first time around.

I specified the new locations and at the end of the Project setup phase, I checked the box that said update this template, but every time I start a new project from a template, Trados still prompts me to locate the TM and Termbases, and I have to go find them all over again.

Is there nothing I can do other than recreate all of my templates from scratch?

------------

[Edited at 2014-01-10 03:32 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Moving Studio to a new computer Feb 11, 2014

If anyone else arrives here looking for instructions on how to move Studio to a new computer, they might like to visit my blog post on the subject:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/02/11/studio-on-a-new-computer/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving Studio 2011 Keyboard Shortcuts to New Laptop

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search