Problem with bilingual Word docs in SDL Trados 2011 since moving to Windows 8
Thread poster: Jacqueline Ball

Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
German to English
Jan 7, 2014

I have recently had to buy a new laptop which has Windows 8. I have installed SDL Trados 2011 on the new laptop and have had no compatibility problems (I also checked in advance that SDL Trados 2011 was compatible with Windows 8) until I got work from one of my larger clients who still uses Trados 2009 and for whom I have the following workflow:

1) Client provides bilingual Word doc which I import into SDL Trados
2) I translate and export as bilingual Word doc (File/Save as target)

This has worked fine on my old laptop (after sorting out a few initial teething problems on the client's end).

However, since I have moved to Windows 8, I am having ongoing issues as follows:

1) Open bilingual Word doc
2) Nothing happens. When I use 'Alt tab' to see if any other windows are open, a File Save window has appeared with the name of the file (as if I am trying to save the file in question rather than open it).
3) I click 'Cancel' on the File Save window and the Open Document dialogue box in SDL Trados appears where I enter the source and target language (as normal) and click OK.
4) SDL Trados then stops again while the file is trying to open because the File Save window has opened yet again. I cancel it. This happens twice more.
5) Finally, I get an error message: Failed to open 'name of file'. File sniffer type 'Bilingual Workbench 1.0.0.0.' failed. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

The first time this happened I shut down Trados, re-started my computer and when that didn't work I re-installed Trados, which still didn't solve the issue. I was writing a post on this forum and decided to give it one last try before posting and I was able to open the file - I didn't do anything differently as far as I'm aware.

The same client has just sent me another job and unfortunately I am having the problem again. Any help or advice very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Jacqueline


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 7, 2014

I have actually solved this problem myself by saving the bilingual Word 97 - 2003 document to a simple Word document.

I don't know why this worked, but it has resolved the issue and seems to work with other files I have tested.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with bilingual Word docs in SDL Trados 2011 since moving to Windows 8

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search