https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/262388-studio2014_sorting_of_segments.html

Studio2014: Sorting of segments
Thread poster: Anninili
Anninili
Anninili
Local time: 07:23
English to German
+ ...
Jan 8, 2014

Hello,

I need to check the index translation of some books. The index entries are marked with an index tag in the Studio Editor window (document structure thing), which is nice and helpful - and I'd like to either "sort" the segments according their structure to get all index entries together or be able to jump from one index segment to the next - does anyone know whether this is somehow possible?

So far
... See more
Hello,

I need to check the index translation of some books. The index entries are marked with an index tag in the Studio Editor window (document structure thing), which is nice and helpful - and I'd like to either "sort" the segments according their structure to get all index entries together or be able to jump from one index segment to the next - does anyone know whether this is somehow possible?

So far I scroll through the segments and stop when I see the tag, but in files with more the 7 000 segments I start to get really *blind* on the tags...

I am working with FM10 MIF files and Studio 2014.

Thanks,
Anneliese
Collapse

merinber (X)
merinber (X)
Germany
German to English
Sorting segments Jan 9, 2014

This sounds like a job for the Display filter in Studio. It would be nice if you could filter for a particular structure content like headings or index entries.... but I'afraid its not (yet) possible.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Oh yes it is ;-) Jan 9, 2014

merinber wrote:

This sounds like a job for the Display filter in Studio. It would be nice if you could filter for a particular structure content like headings or index entries.... but I'afraid its not (yet) possible.

Even though the pantomime season is virtually over... you can use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit for this : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

So just lock everything apart from the index entries and then open the file in STudio and use the display filter to see the unlocked only.

Regards

Paul

Anninili
Anninili
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip! Jan 13, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Even though the pantomime season is virtually over... you can use the SDLXLIFF Toolkit for this : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-tu

So just lock everything apart from the index entries and then open the file in STudio and use the display filter to see the unlocked only.

Regards

Paul

Thanks, Paul, I downloaded the tool and now I am trying to understand how it works.

So far it doesn't do what I tell him to do but I guess we (the tool and I) have some communication problems (no quite sure whether I understand the instructions correctly, I seem to miss something and I do not know whether this because of my very basic Studio knowledge or my basic English skills...)

Until now it ignores the document structure I select, it changes the status for the entire document, no matter what I choose in the DSI field?

What I did so far: I locked all segments of the document (works perfectly!), then I selected the document structure thing I want to change and selected "Unlock content" - I somehow thought from the instructions that this would unlock only the selected Document Structure content? Well, it unlocks the entire document again? Do I miss a step inbetween?

Thanks again, the tool - working as it should - will be very helpful for us.

Cheers,
Anneliese

PS: What does "pantomime season" mean?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Off-topic : Pantomime... Jan 20, 2014

Anninili wrote:

PS: What does "pantomime season" mean?

Hi Anneliese,

In the UK every Christmas and New Year there are musical comedy theatre productions called Pantomimes. They are great fun (especially for children), and one of the endearing features is when the villain (usually) engages with the audience and uses the phrase "Oh no it isn’t!" The audience shouts back "Oh yes it is!" (you probably have to be there as it sounds sillier and sillier as I write this)

So, you said something like "... it’s not possible..." and I said in the title "Oh yes it is!". You see, this is getting silly now!

The reason I said the Pantomime season is over is because it was Jan 9th and most Pantomimes have ended... it's a seasonal thing.

Regards

Paul

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Still does not work Dec 30, 2014

Almost a year has passed and I am trying to do a similar thing. I have a bunch of pptx files where the element labeled as tag does not need to be translated.

So I load the files into the SDLXLIFF toolkit. Select them all, generate document structure information, find the item corresponding to tag and select it, then in the bottom part I select copy source to target and confirm, but when I check a file after executing this operation, nothing happens, tag segments are still empty and
... See more
Almost a year has passed and I am trying to do a similar thing. I have a bunch of pptx files where the element labeled as tag does not need to be translated.

So I load the files into the SDLXLIFF toolkit. Select them all, generate document structure information, find the item corresponding to tag and select it, then in the bottom part I select copy source to target and confirm, but when I check a file after executing this operation, nothing happens, tag segments are still empty and unconfirmed. Is there a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Will appreciate some pointers.

Piotr (not in a silly mood )
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sounds as though... Dec 30, 2014

... you're doing everything right. Maybe you can share the file, or just tell me how to create one with the appropriate tags?

Regards

Paul

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Works in two passes Dec 30, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... you're doing everything right. Maybe you can share the file, or just tell me how to create one with the appropriate tags?

Regards

Paul

I found that it works in two passes. In the first pass only copy source to target is performed even if both options are checked, and in the 2nd pass the status is changed to translated when I leave only this option selected in the change area.

Piotr

[Edited at 2014-12-31 06:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio2014: Sorting of segments

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »