I can't open my project on Studio 2011. Error: An error occurred whilst trying to determine...
Thread poster: Lucy Leite

Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 12, 2014

Hello,

I was working on a project with several files and everything was running smoothly. Then my computer restarted to install some updates, but I had had time to save the file I was working on without any problem. However, now I can't reopen my package. "An error occurred whilst trying to determine file version" appears. I can't open that specific file I was working on either (I get the error "hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character...". And even though I had saved it several times (I've been working on it since yesterday), it seems all I translated is not in the TM.

The other individual files of the project don't seem to be damaged, but if I lose this file, I lose +2000 translated words!!!

Could anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance.

Lucy

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:57
German to English
+ ...
Do you have a pre-update backup... Jan 14, 2014

...version of the application and the file? I have found that it is sometimes easier to simply roll back to a last known good configuration than to figure out what is wrong with the new one.

Be that as it may, a similar error is discussed in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/196681-an_error_occured_whilst_trying_to_determine_the_file_version.html

and this suggestion is offered elsewhere:

›› What is the solution to message "An error occurred whilst trying to determine the file version"? [UP]
Restart Trados and retry.

As far as the TM goes, I believe it is updated only when you confirm your translated segments, not when you save the file.

I would generally recommend that you do not allow Windows to automatically install updates. You can control this under Windows Update. Best practice is to let it only download the updates and install them manually when it's convenient, always backing up your system and data prior to the update operation.

Best of luck,

OW

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't open my project on Studio 2011. Error: An error occurred whilst trying to determine...

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search