How to pretranslate whole file with Google for offline translation?
Thread poster: Tomasz Cieńciała

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:49
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2014

Hi,

I'm using Trados 2014 and automatic translation from Google (paid). The thing is that the machine translation is starting only when I am going into new not translated segment and it always takes few seconds to load = waste of time. Second thing is that sometimes I work without internet connection or with very limited connection (mobile) and in this case I can't work with any machine translation.

So basically I'm trying to figure out a way how to use some kind of batch-task to pretranslate all not translated segments and load it into untranslated target segments. In this case I won't be waiting few seconds for each new segment and I will be able to load whole machine translation for each file for offline usage.

Any ideas how to do that?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
hm ... Jan 16, 2014

Dear Thomas,

I have similar problems, but if your problem is that you have to 'wait few seconds', it is better than the fact that I have to 'wait for a few seconds'. I'm sorry to point out the correct English to you if you have a problem, but waiting only for few seconds doesn't seem a problem - by default of the language.

Otherwise, I don't pay for Google and so I don't use it, the global community site does moderately well enough so that I can adjust the stupidities. Because if the machine could do everything, we wouldn't be needed I guess, so don't expect everything to be delivered by a program. I've even made a few entries about using translation programmes on my blog (http://learnenglishinnetherlands.com/) ridiculing them, because into Hungarian, Trados often proves useless.

Besides, I'm still building my TMs. If I want to set up a term base, it tells me that I can't transform my TMs into a term base as long as I don't have at least 10 thousand translation items. So be cool, patient, and wait a few years before you can really enjoy the full features of a software - we aren't told about these snags beforehand. So I'm also angry. Or we haven't had enough experience. But because our languages are inflectional languages, I'm never expecting the software to do more than recognize the words (often out of context) that I need. Then I have to provide all the necessary inflections. Still, with all the waiting and stuff, it cuts my time at least by 10% now (at least remembers names moderately well, though sometimes forgets them ... ), which I hope to increase to 30 or 40 later, when I have a lager set of TMs. No more. But I have to be happy with that.

Oh, and one more thing. While I wait for those couple of seconds for the automatic translation to come up, I at least have the time to read what needs to be translated. That takes about the same time, so there's no need to complain for any delay - that's no delay at all.

Otherwise, I can't answer the major part of your question. Sorry. Perhaps all it takes is time and patience.

Best regards,

Peter Simon

[Edited at 2014-01-16 14:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-16 14:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-16 14:38 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Czech to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to pretranslate whole file with Google for offline translation? Jan 16, 2014

Peter Simon wrote:

Dear Thomas,

I have similar problems, but if your problem is that you have to 'wait few seconds', it is better than the fact that I have to 'wait for a few seconds'. I'm sorry to point out the correct English to you if you have a problem, but waiting only for few seconds doesn't seem a problem - by default of the language.

Thanks

Besides, I'm still building my TMs. If I want to set up a term base, it tells me that I can't transform my TMs into a term base as long as I don't have at least 10 thousand translation items. So be cool, patient, and wait a few years before you can really enjoy the full features of a software - we aren't told about these snags beforehand. So I'm also angry. Or we haven't had enough experience. But because our languages are inflectional languages, I'm never expecting the software to do more than recognize the words (often out of context) that I need. Then I have to provide all the necessary inflections. Still, with all the waiting and stuff, it cuts my time at least by 10% now (at least remembers names moderately well, though sometimes forgets them ... ), which I hope to increase to 30 or 40 later, when I have a lager set of TMs. No more. But I have to be happy with that.

You can start and create empty TM and start filling words/phrases - I did that and it starts filling up nicely (and speeds my translations too).

Oh, and one more thing. While I wait for those couple of seconds for the automatic translation to come up, I at least have the time to read what needs to be translated. That takes about the same time, so there's no need to complain for any delay - that's no delay at all.

That's pretty good idea - maybe I'll try your way of thinking of it as of time to read the source segment

Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pre-translating files Jan 16, 2014

Hi Tomasz,

It sounds like you need to select the "pre-translate file" from "batch tasks" options that open up when you click on the "project" tab at the top of the screen.

Basically, open your file, selecting your TM and translation server as usual in the "open file" window that appears. When your file opens, save it (this is important, otherwise "batch tasks" won't work - at least in Studio 2011). Then, with the file still open, click on the "project" tab at the top of the screen (I've got Studio 2011, so I don't know where it is in Studio 2014, but I expect it will be somewhere similar) and hover over "batch tasks" - click on the "pre-translate files" option in the window that opens up.

In Studio 2011 you then get a couple of windows establishing the pre-translate parameters - I just accept the defaults, though you might want to select a match of 84 to make sure all segments are pre-translated. Pre-translation of the entire file will begin, using the TM and translation server you selected. You can go away and make a cup of coffee, and when you come back you should have the entire file pre-translated. There's a progress window, and when it tells you that the procedure is complete, click on finish - a window will appear asking you if you want to see/open the file. Obviously, click on yes.

I never use Google Translate, but I see it's there as an option in the "Open file" window, so it should work.

Hope this helps.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just a few things... Jan 16, 2014

Tomasz Cieńciała wrote:
So basically I'm trying to figure out a way how to use some kind of batch-task to pretranslate all not translated segments and load it into untranslated target segments.

Just use the option in Pre-translate Files to Apply Automated Translation when no match is found. There’s an explanation of how to do this in this article on using Machine Translation : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-2W

Peter Simon wrote:
Besides, I'm still building my TMs. If I want to set up a term base, it tells me that I can't transform my TMs into a term base as long as I don't have at least 10 thousand translation items.

You can start to build a Termbase immediately. I think you are referring to an AutoSuggest Dictionary. If you’re lucky (right language pairs - and HU/EN is covered) you can also supplement your TM with some free online resources from the DGT Multilingual Translation Memory of the Acquis Communautaire : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-64

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wow! Jan 16, 2014

What a lot of things one can learn from simply poking one's nose into other people's problems. Because I'm still learning Trados and still have a long way to go, this has already proved very useful.

To Denise, I have to say that I've just found the pre-translation button. However, setting it to 85% doesn't do anything in '14 - I can't have a cup of tea (I don't drink coffee), nothing happens, it only does the next segment and waits. There may be something else to it.

As to SDL Support's answer, I appreciate it very much. However, I can't do anything with the TermBase button. I should be able to pay for something to get to a term-base, I can't find anything to build my own, and I hardly understand a word in the text behind the link you've mentioned. I'm not very computer-literate, I didn't grow up on computer language, I'm just a newby concerning this. Using SDL Trados is a drag for me and I can't see how it can help me substantially in the near future. Oh yes, if I buy all the rights to sites which I have no money for, perhaps I could rely on something. But no, I haven't got a basis or link to a Hungarian base, I can't find any button for AutoSuggest Dictionary at the moment ... so I have a whole lot of problems that make me quite dissatisfied with Trados. WordFast seems to be a lot more dumb-friendly I'm afraid.

But, I'm learning. Any more help is welcome. Thanks.

United Kingdom
English
Pre-translating using MT in Studio 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Hi,

To make this a little more clear I created a quick video explaining how to use MT to pre-translate a file in Studio 2014. I also used the single file document process:

http://youtu.be/gbFfu39KbAE

I hope this makes it clear.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Termbases Jan 17, 2014

Peter Simon wrote:
As to SDL Support's answer, I appreciate it very much. However, I can't do anything with the TermBase button. I should be able to pay for something to get to a term-base, I can't find anything to build my own, and I hardly understand a word in the text behind the link you've mentioned.

Nora Diaz created a nice simple blog article on creating termbases and links to further useful topics at the end : http://goo.gl/04thRL

There are also some useful videos right in your product... assuming you have Studio 2014? Go to your Welcome View, and then click on the second tag in the main screen called Get Started. This tab contains quite a few videos to help you get started with some simple stuff and creating and using Termbases are just some of them.

Regards

Paul

Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Jan 17, 2014

to Paul! I hope something works in that department.

Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks again Jan 17, 2014

Hi, Paul, thanks, yes, it is pretty straightforward as you've said, thanks. The missing element for me seems to have been adding the batch task. Good (though the result is quite crap with Hun, but no problem).

The videos behind the WELCOME window don't really help much and are difficult to get where one would needs to. But next, I'm getting into the second video. Yeah, what a lot one can learn from poking one's nose ... I'm sure quite many others will also be happy to see your small video - a lot more useful than the welcome videos. Thanks a zillion!

[Edited at 2014-01-17 09:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to pretranslate whole file with Google for offline translation?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search