https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/262810-special_characters_appear_instead_of_placeable.html

Special characters appear instead of placeable
Thread poster: Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Ionut-Emilian Arsene  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:23
Romanian to German
+ ...
Jan 16, 2014

Hi!

I am using Trados 2007 on a Windows 7 OS (Asus A53E Laptop), along with Office 2010. Until today no problems that could not be solved. After an update of Adobe X and Graphic Drivers, my keyboard shortcuts Alt+Up, Alt+Down, Alt+Left, Alt+Right return funny characters like smiley face, thick dashes or arrows.
The shortcuts used per mouseclick work.
I uninstalled/rolled back drivers, reinstalled --> nothing.
Uninstalled keyboard, reinstalled, changed between langu
... See more
Hi!

I am using Trados 2007 on a Windows 7 OS (Asus A53E Laptop), along with Office 2010. Until today no problems that could not be solved. After an update of Adobe X and Graphic Drivers, my keyboard shortcuts Alt+Up, Alt+Down, Alt+Left, Alt+Right return funny characters like smiley face, thick dashes or arrows.
The shortcuts used per mouseclick work.
I uninstalled/rolled back drivers, reinstalled --> nothing.
Uninstalled keyboard, reinstalled, changed between languages -->nothing..

I am a little desperate, because the speed resides in using most keyboard, not switching to the mouse.
Also, the X (Close Window) sign in Tag Editor disappeared.

Please help!
Collapse

graff
graff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Polish
Check NumLock Jan 16, 2014

Make sure NumLock is off. (It may or may not work).

Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Romania
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I checked NUM Lock Jan 16, 2014

Also, opening Word leads to same results when pressing Alt+Downarrow, Leftarrow, Rightarrow.
I am a little desperate.

Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Romania
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Angry Jan 16, 2014

I get those characters ☻♠♦♠♦→

But if I press right Alt button after inserting the placeable, the inserted words remain, but on black background, like they are selected for some clipboard operation.

[Edited at 2014-01-16 18:19 GMT]

Ionut-Emilian Arsene
Romania
Romanian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NICE Feb 16, 2014

After a 4 days waiting time (opening a ticket at SDL - with the promise that in 3 days the issue should be addressed), i get the help of a young girl working remote on my PC. Not a clue whatsoever why she stumbled upon many icons on my desktop, taking intense glares at the BubbleSmile icon and trying hard to avoid clicking on it, making some back-forth moves that I already did before opening the ticket. After 25 minutes of doing practically nothing, a senior co-worker takes over, doing the same ... See more
After a 4 days waiting time (opening a ticket at SDL - with the promise that in 3 days the issue should be addressed), i get the help of a young girl working remote on my PC. Not a clue whatsoever why she stumbled upon many icons on my desktop, taking intense glares at the BubbleSmile icon and trying hard to avoid clicking on it, making some back-forth moves that I already did before opening the ticket. After 25 minutes of doing practically nothing, a senior co-worker takes over, doing the same operations like his former colleague. The result? ”Sir, you should know that we discontinued support for Trados 2007” ... OK ... I reply, knowing that the issue is NOT present in Trados Studio (i own 2 licences) and invite the guy to look at the new version. Because he said that only because of the shortcuts installed and working in Trados 2007 I get those funny characters. But look, Studio 2011 can`t reproduce those shortcuts, nor the funny chars, BECAUSE SDL removed those from the commands.

So I get stuck working only with my mouse / untill I get some free time (a day or two) to reinstall a fresh Windows 7 along with the needed software.

Have a nice laugh!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Special characters appear instead of placeable

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »