International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Studio 2011 - Catastrophy hits thrice
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:36
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 17, 2014

This morning I translated a couple of files with 2011, saved them, closed Studio and went on with something else. This afternoon I wanted to open them again for proofing, and whole hell broke loose.

When opening Projects I got ERROR!
- cannot validate SDL plug-in: HtmlFilterComponentBuilder, SDLFileTypeSupportFilters. ConvertAdapter, version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PblicKeyToken=c28cdb26c445c888

When opening Editor I got ERROR!
- Object not set to an instance of an object.

When closing Studio I got ERROR!
- Object not set to an instance of an object.

In short - I can't open the files, I can't open the editor and I can't close Studio: I can't work!!!!

I am a translator myself, but could somebody (from SDL?) please translate the above in normal language and tell me what to do, so I can finish my job, or is this the end of my SDL 2011?

[Edited at 2014-01-17 16:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:36
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Reset Windows layout or Studio Jan 17, 2014

First, try to reset SDL Studio Windows Layout, especially if you changed t heir location, close the program, reopen it, and see if the problem persists.

If it does, try to reset Studio by following the steps (deleting the three XML files) in SDL KB 4457

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jan 17, 2014

I resetted Studio (=turn computer off and on, only turning off and on Studio didn't work), and I can work again. Curiosity remains: "What happened?"

[Edited at 2014-01-17 17:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-17 17:33 GMT]

James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English

Probably... Jan 17, 2014

...(but not definitely!) an open or locked MS Word process running in the background. If you switch to task manager and see a word process running when you have shut SDL and MS Word down, end the task and see if you can restart SDL. It saves you having to reboot the computer (which does the same thing).

I also find shouting and threatening to throw the computer out of the window helps, but does not solve the problem quite as effectively.

Your mileage, naturally, may vary!

Keep the faith!

James

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2013)
English to Czech
+ ...
I had the same problem Jan 18, 2014

I had the same problem some time ago - and actually the Shai´s advice was given to me as well.

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=4457&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4457

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - Catastrophy hits thrice

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search