International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

How to handle these files?
Thread poster: Marie Hélène AFONSO

Marie Hélène AFONSO  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:00
English to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2014

Hello everyone
I have just received a new assignment from English into French.
These are 13 files, their content is mostly in French with parts in red (left in English) that need to be translated into French.
I was wondering how to handle these files with Trados studio, as I need to select the pair of languages before to start working on them. I am puzzled as the source files have parts in French and parts in English.
It would be very nice of you if you could help me out with this.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Simon  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2013)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Leave them as they are Jan 19, 2014

Dear Marie Hélène,

I've been quite new with Trados. I've been doing Eng to Hung translations of my own files just to build up my TM by using my earlier material. I've taken the Hungarian equivalents and put them at the end in the original order so that I can find them easily while translating from Eng, so I also had two languages in the file. And violá, Trados would gladly translate the Hun phrases to Hun! Which is not necessary, of course, but it shows that the program is immune of the input - it isn't disturbed if part of the input is already in the target language, it only needs to be told which pair of languages are to be used. So define the translation setting as from Eng to French and don't bother with the French sentences if not necessary, or let the software automatically put them into the final version (nothing for you to do only to accept) and check the E-Fr translations.

Good luck,

Peter

[Edited at 2014-01-19 19:37 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Hide text in Word Jan 19, 2014

If these files are word documents, I'd perform a find and replace using the "format" option and then "font" and "highlight" options in the F&R dialog box.

For find, select "not highlighted"
for replace, select "not highlighted" and "hidden"

The language pair in Studio will be English to French.
Open your files in Studio. By default, hidden text will not appear in Studio.

Edited to add: Peter's method will work fine too, just make sure you don't confirm French-French segments so that they won't be entered in your TM. You can even leave these segments blank.

[Edited at 2014-01-19 19:41 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Beta testing OpenExchange App... Jan 20, 2014

Hi,

This post was quite timely!

There is a developer who has created an OpenExchange application that allows you handle multilingual source files in quite a clever way. So if you were translating into German for example, and had English, French and Italian source in the file then you can add three TMs to your Project for these language pairs, and then either change the source language manually through a new panel next to the TM Results window as you reach these segments so they populate the appropriate TM, or have the application recognise the language automatically and just use the correct TM as you work.

It’s pretty clever. and works really nicely, but the developer would be interested in Beta testing with anyone who is interested in this kind of thing.

So if you are interested drop me an email and I’ll put you in touch.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to handle these files?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search