Trados Multiterm recognizes SOME terms, not all
Thread poster: Pablo Mones

Pablo Mones  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Jan 21, 2014

Hi, I am using Trados Studio 2014 with a tembase. All this time it has worked fine, but in the last days when I add a new term from "Insert new term", the term does not appear in the term recognition box and it is also not highlighted in the Editor window.

Let me be clear: some terms appear perfectly well (highlighted in the Editor window and appear in the term recognition box,), but others do not appear at all, although when I try to add them, I get a message that the term is already in that termbase. In addition, when I work with Multiterm alone, all terms are shown; thus, they have been properly incorporated into the termbase.

I have already tried to reorganize the termbase, but it didn't work. As for the program, it was automatically updated on 11/JAN/2014.

Any solution?

Thanks.

Pablo

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:03
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bug Jan 21, 2014

Dear Pablo,

This is a bug that has been existing a long time. In a support case I logged in this regards, SDL staff have confirmed this as a bug. Nothing done yet. It has been discussed here for example:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/261439-termbase_not_recognized.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/261254-studio_not_recognizing_terms_its_driving_me_nuts.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/260627-number_of_terms_recognized_depending_on_segment_size.html#2235290

I'm afraid that at the moment the only solution is to live with it, or to switch to a different software.

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 22, 2014

Dear Erhard,

Thank you for your reply. I guess now I have to sit and wait until 2030 for Trados to fix it.

It is a pity, as this is a quite expensive program with many problems for its heavy users. Thus, it makes me wonder if it is really worth it spending so much money in a program that turns to be unreliable.

Best.

Pablo

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Roundabout Jan 22, 2014

Dear Erhard,

I finally discovered a "solution" for this problem. While working with Trados you must also have Multiterm Desktop open with your predetermined termbase. There is where you must add your new terms and in these last hours it has worked with no problem .

I really want to thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. It is a pity that in all these years SDL has done nothing to solve this problem.

Best.

Pablo

[Editado a las 2014-01-22 02:56 GMT]

[Editado a las 2014-01-22 02:57 GMT]

[Editado a las 2014-01-22 02:59 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Does running MT Desktop change term recognition? Jan 22, 2014

Dear Pablo,

Just to be sure I understand what you mean: When Studio fails to recognise a term that is in the term bank, will this change when you run MT Desktop at the same time? That would be a very handy workaround indeed.

Regards, Erik

Uruguay
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Terms recognized in MT Desktop? Jan 22, 2014

Dear Erhard:

No, if you run MT Desktop simultaneously with Trados you will still have the same problem when adding terms through the Studio window.

This approach seems to work when you add new terms in the MT Desktop. By doing this, they will appear in the term recognition box (but you will still have the problem with your previous entries). The only problem is that you must run two programs instead of one, thus using more memory and CPU from the computer.

Best.

Pablo

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
same happens here Jan 23, 2014

hi Pablo and Erhard,
the same happens to me.
it is a pity this bug has not been solved in so many years.
we will have to live with it.

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
No Such Fatality Jan 24, 2014

Use TermInjector (OpenXchange) and the issue is gone - terms get inserted automatically and without fail.

If you're using 2014, you can also download BeGlobalAutoSuggest (OpenXchange) for more suggestions.

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2014-01-24 16:48 GMT]

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 00:03
English to Chinese
I have a different Multiterm issue Jan 24, 2014

I am working on a Studio project with two of my termbases attached to it. In the termbase recognition window, however, terms from the second termbase are recognized, but only the source terms are displayed. Is it by design with the latest service pack? I was able to see both source and target terms in the recognition window for ALL termbases associated with a given project, but now I can only see both for the main termbase.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terminjector Jan 24, 2014

Bernard Lieber wrote:

Use TermInjector (OpenXchange) and the issue is gone - terms get inserted automatically and without fail.

If you're using 2014, you can also download BeGlobalAutoSuggest (OpenXchange) for more suggestions.

Cheers,

Bernard

[Edited at 2014-01-24 16:48 GMT]

Bernard, thanks.
please tell me how I could use Terminyector in Studio 2014, if it is possible.
I don't want to pay for a BeGlobal account.
best regards,
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
for Bernard Jan 24, 2014

I remember you said in a post I cannot find, that we should copy paste the Terminjector file from some Studio 2011 folder to a Studio 2014 folder. I have Terminjector installed for Studio 2011, but cannot find any files related to it in the application folders.
thanks for your help.
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terminjector installed for Studio 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

I remember you said in a post I cannot find, that we should copy paste the Terminjector file from some Studio 2011 folder to a Studio 2014 folder. I have Terminjector installed for Studio 2011, but cannot find any files related to it in the application folders.
thanks for your help.
Lorenzo

hi Bernard, I found your old post about copying the Terminjector file to the Studio 2014 folder. now I see it is up and running in the Plug-ins tab, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I really can't find the way of running it. please tell me what I'm missing.
many thanks,
Lorenzo

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Folders and More Jan 25, 2014

Hi Lorenzo,

The 2011 folder is as follows:

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\10\Plugins\Packages -> copy TermInjector.sdlplugin

into the following folder: C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\11\Plugins\Packages -> Start or restart 2014 the plug-in gets unpacked automatically.

AppData is a hidden folder - you may have to check Show Hidden Files Folders under Folder Options (Control Panel)

Here is a section from the online help:

Converting Excel glossaries for use with TermInjector

Exact match rule files can be easily created from Excel glossaries by selecting the source and target columns simultaneously in Excel, copying them into Notepad, and saving the file in Notepad. For this to work, the target column should be immediately on the right side of the source column. If there are other columns between the source and target columns or the target column is on the left side of the source column, copy the columns into an empty Excel worksheet in the correct order and then copy them into Notepad.

BeGlobalAutoSuggest is a free plug-in all to have to do is define an API.

HTH if not drop me an e-mail,

Bernard

[Edited at 2014-01-25 07:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Multiterm recognizes SOME terms, not all

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search