Studio 2014: Quick additions to TM
Thread poster: bungholio
bungholio
German to English
Jan 22, 2014

Hello all!

We often have situations here where we want to add a quick translation to our TM. A recent case is where we researched the translation for a German term that was not yet in our memory. In order not to lose the results of this research, we wanted to add both the source and target term to memory. Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is no way to easily do this in Trados Studio 2014. You have to slap the source in a text file and then "Open a single file for translation" for a single line of text and run through the whole process.

There doesn't seem to be any option in the TM view where you can add a unit, though this would seem to be the place for it. Is there any way to do the above without having to create a quasi-project? I am wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks for any advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:40
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't know about a TM Jan 22, 2014

but you can quickly add source and target terms to a termbase in studio by selecting the two, right click, add new term, click "Save" button in termbase popup window.

Obviously you'll need a termbase enabled for that session/project.

That's the fastest way I know of saving terminology in Studio.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:40
English to Hebrew
+ ...
T-Window for clipboard Jan 22, 2014

This is where the T-Window for clipboard app should come in handy.

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies so far Jan 22, 2014

Thanks for the replies; unfortunately, they don't help so much with the original query.

The "Add to MultiTerm" trick only works if you are already working in the editor. I admit this is a very handy feature that we use all the time. However, the idea is to not have to get into the editor to begin with.

And as far as I'm concerned, T-Window for Clipboard should never have been released in its current form. I have never seen such a buggy app, though of course I entertain the remote possibility that the many crashes and general bugginess of this app is due to my system configuration (though I highly doubt this). In theory, it should work perfectly for what I need. In practice, however, things look different. This was the first avenue I tried, and the app will just not work correctly when I disable "Auto-activate". Let's just say the app gets easily confused and is not really suitable for "long-term" use.

Any other suggestions, or maybe a timeline for an improved T-Window app?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A quick and dirty workaround Jan 22, 2014

smatter wrote:

Let's just say T-Window for Clipboard gets easily confused and is not really suitable for "long-term" use.

Any other suggestions?

I completely agree about T-Window. It's never worked properly for me either.

I use a quick and dirty workaround that will have many people throwing up their hands in horror.

- I open a short file in a project that has the TM in question.
- Click any segment and overwrite the target segment with the new content
- F6 to switch to source, edit it with Alt+F2 and overwrite it with the new content.
- Confirm the segment (segment goes into the TM)
- Exit the file without saving it.

Maybe I should improve my method by having a special project and a dummy docx file set up in it, to avoid spoiling a "real" file, just in case.

I don't advise anyone to use this method, but will leave it here in case it's useful.

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting workaround Jan 22, 2014

Thanks for the tip, Emma!

It's a bit of work, but no more so than our current solution, which is:

1) Copy source to text file.
2) File / Open / Translate a single file (with corresponding dialog boxes)
3) Translate

Caveat: Since we usually use more than one TM, we can't just select the proper TM right at "project creation" since this will then change the defaults to that memory -> which we don't want to do. So that means we have to open Project Settings, fiddle with the TM settings (enable/disable) and make sure the correct TM gets updated.

Plus, I guess that only works where you are working with a file type whose source can be edited (e.g. Word). The solution with making a "dummy project" is interesting in itself though. That way, we could just pull the text file in there and the TMs would already be set correctly (or just have a "dummy" Word file where we could pull the trick you mentioned ).

Still, you would think that there would be a simple "Add unit to TM" function somewhere that doesn't require a file or working with a buggy app.

Again, thanks to all for the replies so far!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Dummy workarounds until "Add unit to TM" is implemented. Jan 22, 2014

smatter wrote:

we can't just select the proper TM right at "project creation" since this will then change the defaults to that memory -> which we don't want to do.

I don't create a project for this workaround. I have a list of about ten project running, one for each regular client plus a one-for-all approach. So I just pick the most appropriate.

Plus, I guess that only works where you are working with a file type whose source can be edited (e.g. Word). The solution with making a "dummy project" is interesting in itself though.

Yes, you need a .docx (or .pptx) to edit the source.
A dummy project has the added advantage of being able to set up a field called "additions" or similar, to know where the segment comes from.

Still, you would think that there would be a simple "Add unit to TM" function somewhere that doesn't require a file or working with a buggy app.

Yes, I'd like to see that too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014: Quick additions to TM

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search