Helle Gylling  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:51
Member (2013)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2014

Hello,

I am a memoQ user considering getting Trados as well in order to work with agencies that only accept Trados. I am used to being able to create a new term base (not just TM) in memoQ and in playing around with the free trial of Studio I find that I am not able to do that in Studio - you need multiterm for that.

Is multiterm similar to a TB? If not, how are they different? Is it necessary to get multiterm as well? At an extra 300$ I am obviously a bit reluctant to buy it.

Thanks,
Helle

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
English
MultiTerm... Jan 23, 2014

... is a separate product, but it’s included free of charge when you purchase Studio. The reason it’s separate is because it’s a very flexible solution providing the ability for Terminologists to create and manage complex termbases as well as simple glossaries.

There are also tools on the OpenExchange, some also free of charge, that make it simple to create and manage a termbase without having to use MultiTerm at all... as long as it is installed.

Regards

Paul

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:51
English to Hebrew
+ ...
MultiTerm is Studio's Terminology Tool Jan 23, 2014

Yes, in Studio the Terminology is managed via a separate tool called MultiTerm. You can add a Termbase to a Studio project, and add or edit terms from within Studio's Editor window as you work on a project, but the terminology database creation or management (including import/export functions) is done in MultiTerm.

As far as I know, although it is a separate tool, MultiTerm is a part of the Studio license so you don't have to invest in it separately.

That said, I would advise against investing in any translation supporting technology just for the reason that you have indicated.
I strongly recommend not to work with any agency or broker that tries to dictate to you which tool to use. Often those who do are the worst types of brokers out-there.

Moreover, nowadays most tools support common data exchange formats so it is usually possible to exchange data between different tools, sometimes it takes a little doing, but an agency that doesn't care to work with you in attempt to exchange (i.e. export/import) data without you having to invest in some kind of technology, probably doesn't deserve your time and attention.

And lastly, currently the major Translation Environment Tools have some format interchangeability built in to them in a way. Depending on the version, MemoQ for example supports TTX files (which is the file format of the old, now obsolete, SDL Trados brand, and usually the file type that 'Trados only' agencies refer to) and SDL Studio packages out-of-the-box. For packages it might not be a perfect support, but this is usually not that big of an issue.

[Edited at 2014-01-23 20:42 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Jan 23, 2014

Dear Helle,

indeed, you can't create a term base within Studio, you do that in MultiTerm. That's not a problem, though: AFAIK, there is no way of buying Studio without MultiTerm. You can buy MultiTerm without buying Studio though, which makes sense, as it is a very powerful tool for terminologists.

I'm not sure though whether the trial version of Studio comes with MultiTerm.

The possibilities of MultiTerm are really innumberable, but when using it from within Studio, it miserably fails to perform its core function: reliably finding terms in the source text and displaying the relevant termbank entry. Within Studio, the best you are going to get is some of the terms, sometimes - which is actually worse than not having a termbase at all.

I haven't got much experience with MemoQ, but I believe that while having less functions, it's better in this regard.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-01-23 20:46 GMT]

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
Member (2007)
English to Russian
MemoQ Jan 24, 2014

MemoQ (6.2) can process sdlxliff (SDL Studio) files. My clients never know that I didn't use Trados

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:51
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Please be careful. MultiTerm has known instability issues, related to Java Jan 24, 2014

Hi Helle,

Many CAT tools can process Trados files (both the old ones – uncleaned and TTX – and the new Studio formats). Purchasing SDL Studio and MultiTerm is really overkill, if all you want to be able to do is accept Trados files from agencies.

Furthermore, if you look around on the internet, you will notice the very large amount of people begging for help with their buggy MultiTerm/Studio installations. Try Googling: Java problems MultiTerm Studio

Studio has definitely improved in the last year or two, but it is still a very buggy program. Several of my colleagues who are forced to use Studio have actually gone through the trouble of setting up a special VM (virtual machine) to run a parallel copy of their operating system, in which they then install Studio/MultiTerm, so they can keep Studio/MultiTerm contained, and thus unable to trash their systems.

I know the Studio staff will strongly disagree with me. However, I just thought someone ought to warn you.

If you want to learn how to translate Studio files in memoQ, just ask on the memoQ mailing list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/memoQ/info

Michael

[Edited at 2014-01-24 10:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm vs memoQ term base

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search