Can't de-activate Studio 2011 licenses due to re-imaging?
Thread poster: PapagenoX

PapagenoX
Local time: 17:04
Jan 27, 2014

Hello all,

Recently the laptops with our installations of Trados Studio 2011 Professional (single user) had to be re-imaged, but we failed to de-activate/return the licenses before that happened. Which puts us in a situation where apparently we need human intervention from SDL to fix things. With SoftKey licenses (Trados 2007) it was a simple matter to simply return licenses on the Trados Account page with a click of the mouse under "My licenses". Now, incredibly, one can't somehow do a similar thing with Studio 2011 and one is caught in a Catch-22 situation. Without an installed, licensed product handy to first de-activate, one is at the mercy of SDL support, and if one doesn't have a contract, it takes up to THREE days to get a response, apparently?

Am I missing something here? I can't even try the existing activation codes (on the theory that they might work because the laptops are the same ones) because when I try to copy the activation codes to the clipboard, the copying doesn't actually happen--how helpful.

Not real happy right now.

Johanna Holmgren
Sweden
Local time: 02:04
English to Swedish
+ ...
Quick fix: give SDL more money... Jan 28, 2014

Hello,
This happened to me with Studio 2009 - my laptop crashed one day while I was working to a deadline and that was it. Since I didn't know it was going to happen, I naturally hadn't returned the licence. Apparently, at one point I had had two licences, but hadn't realised why, and so had lost one on a previous computer. I chatted with a person from SDL who basically said the best solution would be an upgrade (!) to 2011, because then I would get new licences.

I eventually received a new 2009 licence from the support people, but I seem to recall it took several weeks for them to get round to it, me not having signed a special support agreement. It is surely the kind of customer service that makes translators choose the competition for their next software purchase.

In short, as far as I know, the only way to ensure that you don't have to wait for weeks for a new licence is to return the one you have every time you stop working on any given assignment, be it for a break or at the end of the day. Still, it is no safeguard against unexpected crashes.

I genuinely hope that SDL are more helpful in your case!

Johanna

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Partially resetting the Nalpeiron data... Jan 28, 2014

PapagenoX wrote:

Am I missing something here?

Basically the disk imaging is incompatible with the SDL license technology.
I.e. the Nalpeiron data will be invalid.

You can try to:
- stop the Nalpeiron services,
- delete Nalpeiron registry entries,
- delete alternative data streams in the Windows directory (starting with nls), you can use ADSSpy or similar,
- restart.
- pray the Nalpeiron data in the 0 track is enough.

Make sure the image was made on the same machine and the machine name etc. are the same, otherwise it will not work.

Cheers
GG

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Quite fast really Jan 28, 2014

PapagenoX wrote:

if one doesn't have a contract, it takes up to THREE days to get a response, apparently?

I understand that SDL will usually reset your license within a day, but they state 72 hours to cover themselves.

You do need to fill in the form in the solution finder, though. If you email SDL or talk to their sales staff you won't get a quick or satisfactory answer.

So, if you haven't got any activations left, go to http://kb.sdl.com/ and click on the solution finder tab. Go to Licensing problems>I use SDL Trados Studio 2011> I need to have my license reset and fill in the form.

PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Form submitted but no reply Jan 28, 2014

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

PapagenoX wrote:

if one doesn't have a contract, it takes up to THREE days to get a response, apparently?

I understand that SDL will usually reset your license within a day, but they state 72 hours to cover themselves.

You do need to fill in the form in the solution finder, though. If you email SDL or talk to their sales staff you won't get a quick or satisfactory answer.

So, if you haven't got any activations left, go to http://kb.sdl.com/ and click on the solution finder tab. Go to Licensing problems>I use SDL Trados Studio 2011> I need to have my license reset and fill in the form.

Well, I filled out and submitted that form yesterday, but no response today so far (at least no email notification--I'm going to log in to the account and see if something's happened). I was surprised--our company has used Trados products for over 10 years now. I thought there'd be a response since they're ahead of us time-wise in Europe (and I'm in Portland OR to boot). All this nonsense makes me nostalgic for the parallel port hardware dongle days.

PapagenoX
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I don't have those priviliges Jan 28, 2014

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

PapagenoX wrote:

Am I missing something here?

Basically the disk imaging is incompatible with the SDL license technology.
I.e. the Nalpeiron data will be invalid.

You can try to:
- stop the Nalpeiron services,
- delete Nalpeiron registry entries,
- delete alternative data streams in the Windows directory (starting with nls), you can use ADSSpy or similar,
- restart.
- pray the Nalpeiron data in the 0 track is enough.

Make sure the image was made on the same machine and the machine name etc. are the same, otherwise it will not work.

Cheers
GG

Thanks for the advice, but I'm in a locked-down corporate environment, so I doubt that I can fiddle with the workings of services that way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't de-activate Studio 2011 licenses due to re-imaging?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search