How to translate violet "FIELD" section?
Thread poster: RasaDidziuliene

RasaDidziuliene
Lithuania
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2014

I have a word document with the grey fields of text. When I use Trados, the text in the grey fields is showed as a violet "FIELD" "button", which I cannot translate. For example:

Word: A grey field of text saying "31 December 2011"
Trados:

How to translate this text? The only way I can solve this issue is to review all the translated text and change the text in the grey fields manually using Word. Are there any solutions in Trados?

Direct link Reply with quote

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:17
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Isn't it a tag? Jan 30, 2014

Rasa Didziulyte wrote:

I have a word document with the grey fields of text. When I use Trados, the text in the grey fields is showed as a violet "FIELD" "button", which I cannot translate. For example:

Trados:

How to translate this text? The only way I can solve this issue is to review all the translated text and change the text in the grey fields manually using Word. Are there any solutions in Trados?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
English
It is a field value which becomes a TAG Jan 30, 2014

Rasa Didziulyte wrote:

Trados:

This means that the date is calculated, or pulled from somewhere else, when the document is opened in Word. If you translate it, or change the TAG from being a TAG to being text then it will no longer work correctly as it did in the source document.

I doubt this is supposed to be translated. If it is then perhaps the thing to do is get a copy of the document from your client where these fields are text instead, showing the correct date, and then translate the file in Studio.

As it is, it seems likely that if you open the file on a different day the field value will be different... would be like an ongoing piece of work as you’d finish it one day and have to correct it the next

Regards

Paul

RasaDidziuliene
Lithuania
Lithuanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If these are tags... Jan 30, 2014

Yes, it's probably a tag. However, it is the full date (in words) of law issue. I don't think that it should change somehow. On the other hand, it would look strange if I would remain all the dates in original language, then 70% of the document would be translated and 30% would be left in original language.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate violet "FIELD" section?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search