Bringing translation memories from Trados 2009 to 2014
Thread poster: Elvira Alves Barry

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
Jan 31, 2014

I've been using Trados 2009 successfully for several years, and recently upgraded to 2014. So far it's been a positive experience!

Right now I'm having a problem bringing my translation memories over. Since my clients generally ask for a tmx, my working method up to now has been to create a new TM for each project. So now I'm looking at a very large number of TMs, generally labeled by job title or number. It's worked well so far, but I'm trying to come up with a better system (e.g., by language) to harness all past translations.

I tried following Paul Filkin's excellent video on using the "upgrade TM" feature to bring all the files over, but seem to have ended up with two files on my desktop (one with the TMs and the other with the files converted to tmx), but nothing is showing up in 2014, so I must be missing something.

Do people generally dump all of their project TMs into one big TM for that language combination or, considering there are likely to be repetitions, is it better to go into each TM and see if it needs cleaning up, remove duplicates, etc., before trying to integrate them in the new system? This seems to be a bit like trying to eat an elephant, but maybe there's an easier way to do this.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Elvira

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There are tools for converting at SDL Feb 1, 2014

Look for OpenXchangeApps or something like that. You should find them under your SDL-menu readily installed.
It's up to you how much you spend time tuning you TMs. Some translators keep one TM for each language combination, some use one TM for all language combinations and some (like me) use general TMs for general jobs and client-related TMs for recurring update jobs from certain clients (who need the updated TM for themselves every time).
You can use more than one TM at a time in Studio.

Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice, Heinrich. Feb 1, 2014

I´ll take a look and see if anything will help in organizing. I thought installing MultiTerm was going to be complicated, but that part was easy compared with the TMs!

Have a great weekend.

Elvira

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bringing translation memories from Trados 2009 to 2014

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search