Some HTML Codes disappear when exporting Trados file to xml
Thread poster: Jitlada Singkum
Jitlada Singkum
Local time: 11:35
Feb 2, 2014

Hi There,

My client sent me an xml file to translate and I did in in Trados 2009. When I exported the target back to xml format, some codes (with blank space) disappeared. I'm wondering if someone can advise me how to properly save the file so that these codes are present? The codes are something like [CDATA[ ]] (cannot properly write it here). I would like to attach photos but do not know how.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
J.

Direct link Reply with quote

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Which file type are you using? Feb 2, 2014

Hi,

A bit hard to tell without seeing the actual piece of code. CDATA is an XML attribute, not HTML code. It can be used in XHTML, but as Wikipedia points out better than I could formulate, "CDATA sections in XHTML documents are liable to be parsed differently by web browsers if they render the document as HTML, since HTML parsers do not recognise the CDATA start and end markers".

But in general, could be simply because some XML editors omit XML attributes with no value. Usually this is not a problem. However, Trados should not do anything to the code part if you are using a correct File Type. Such content would be locked.

Did you view the XML content in Notepad or in some XML editor? And did you use a specific File Type (that is, got an ini file from the customer or created one yourself) or a generic Trados File Type, likely XML:Any XML if you did not define anything else and the XML was not DITA or Docbook based?

BR, Jaana

Jitlada Singkum
TOPIC STARTER
XML:Any XML I think Feb 2, 2014

Hi Jaana,

Thanks so much for your reply. I am pretty new to this so I hope that my answer will make sense to you (apologies if not). I got the XML file from my client, created the sdlxliff myself, and exported it to XML file. I checked the file type and it was XML:Any XML. I checked the target XML by opening it in a web browser. My client said that the missing codes caused his system to report errors and some translated segments appeared untranslated on his site.

Would you mind taking a look at the file (if this is not too much to ask)? I can also capture screenshots of the errors to make things easier. I have tried looking up ways to solve this on the internet with no luck. Early thanks for your kind help.

Thank you very much,
J.

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Simple check Feb 2, 2014

The problem may also be at the receiving end.

Make a simple test by visually comparing the structure of the source and target file (File-Save Target As in Trados, make sure the type is XML Document and Encoding Unicode (UTF-8)), in Notepad++ (freeware), if you don't have an XML editor. Select Language XML in Notepad++to see the tags better.

Jitlada Singkum
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 4, 2014

Thank you Jaana. I will try this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some HTML Codes disappear when exporting Trados file to xml

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search