Trados 2014 not creating return packages properly.
Thread poster: Nick Brisland, BA (Hons), AITI

Nick Brisland, BA (Hons), AITI
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2013)
German to English
Feb 7, 2014

Hello everyone!

When I create a return package in Trados, I right-click on the file, click 'create return package', follow the steps through and Trados creates the return package normally.

The problem is that the file it creates is only 22 bytes, and it should be a few hundred kilobytes. Fortunately, this isn't too much of a problem for my client, as I can send them the .xlf and .tmx files instead, and they are happy with that, but I'd still like to try and get to the bottom of the problem anyway.

This problem has only arisen in the last month. Up to a few weeks ago, I was able to create return packages with no problem. I can't remember having installed any updates, deleted anything or changed any settings recently; all of a sudden Trados has decided to not behave!

I'd appreciate any insight anyone has into this; a quick Google search doesn't reveal much, but I will research it a bit more.

Finally, I'm not the most advanced Trados user, so if you do have any help for me, treat me like an idiot so I can understand what's going on!icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks very much for your help!

Nick.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:43
English
What’s inside the package... Feb 8, 2014

... if you unzip it?

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 8, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

... if you unzip it?

Paul

How would you unzip it? In Trados?

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
unzip like a normal zipped folder Feb 8, 2014

Nick, I think you can just change the suffix of the return package to .zip and then unzip it as a normal Windows zipped file/folder.
I think that is what Paul means.

good luck!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
That is what I meant. Feb 9, 2014

Alternatively download the PackageReader from the SDL OpenExchange and this will tell what's in it without having to unzip it.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
The only file in there ... Feb 10, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Alternatively download the PackageReader from the SDL OpenExchange and this will tell what's in it without having to unzip it.

Regards

Paul

... is studio_tasks.xlf, which is 195 kb. Oddly though, the size of the return package is not 22 bytes any more, but 26 Kb - which is about what I would expect it to be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2014 not creating return packages properly.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search