Studio 2009 - how can I see at a glance that a segment does not match the translation in the TM
Thread poster: Silke Namuth

Silke Namuth
Germany
Local time: 21:30
English to German
+ ...
Feb 11, 2014

Hello everyone,

can anyone help with the following scenario:
I worked on a large review project involving several hundred files.

If I made a change in one segment and confirmed the translation, and the same segment occurs later on, how can I see immediately that I have previously changed this segment?

Working in Trados 2007, I could immediately see from the background color of the segment (yellow instead of green) that the translation did not match the translation in the TM.

In Studio 2009, is there some way to see at a glance that the segment is not identical to the translation in the TM?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Silke

Direct link Reply with quote

tokyobritish
Japan
Local time: 04:30
Japanese to English
+ ...
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/SDL_Trados_Studio_Help.htm#Projects_View/ Feb 13, 2014

Hi!

I would do it like this:

Go into Tools -> Options and check the settings for Editor, Auto-propagation.
On the reference page, be careful about the following in relation to Track changes:

Auto-propagation is automatically disabled:
From segments containing tracked changes in the source and/or target.
To segments containing tracked changes in the source and/or target.

So, from what I can make out, you have to Accept the changes if you have that setting on,
and then confirm the translation with CTRL+Enter.
Now, a dialog will be displayed when you move to the segment with the exact match.

Other ways are to look at the Segment Status column. If it was a 100% match in the document, it might(?) show as 100% greyed out and with a red cross to the left after you change the previous(?) exact match. (You'll have to confirm that for me!)

And, you can hold your mouse over the column to get information about what segment the translation comes from.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Screen_Layout/Editor_View/Segment_Status_Column.htm

Chris

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
English
Yes... Feb 13, 2014

Silke Namuth wrote:

In Studio 2009, is there some way to see at a glance that the segment is not identical to the translation in the TM?

... the TM Results window will have a bar at the bottom that says "Different target segment in translation"... or something like that.

In 2011 and 2014 it’s easier as you have the equivalent of Translate to Fuzzy which allows you to find them all immediately. In 2009 you have to rely on your own ability to notice them as you work through the file.

Although one interesting workaround might be to pretranslate the original file in a new Project and save the sdlxliff. Then use SDLXLIFF Compare (free application on the openexchange) to compare the two files and you can display only the segments that have changed.

That would help you find them easily.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - how can I see at a glance that a segment does not match the translation in the TM

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search