Thread poster: Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:10
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 11, 2014

I have just received a large XML file to translate in Trados. I got no further instruction from the client regarding the preparation of the project. Are there any special settings I need to make when importing the XML file to Trados 2011? I tried creating the project from scratch and it worked fine, should I then simply use the default setting of Trados, just import the file and start working? I would appreciate any help in this issue, because so far I have always received projects with XML files as packages and did not have to deal with such issue.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-02-11 13:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Member (2009)
German to English
XML has a broad definition Feb 11, 2014

Hi, Yiftah
There are various types of XML and it might be worth finding out from the client which type is involved. You can then check that you have the correct XML type included in the File types in your Project settings.

If the XML type is not known or undefined, then you can use the file type Any XML as default. Once you have translated a couple of files, check that your target text is properly embedded in the XML formatting code. In Trados this is often apparent because the XLIFF source text has a break in it where a tag has not been properly recognised. If all is OK, then you can translate further files.

If your Trados editor is not showing the tags correctly, then you need to change the parser. There are various ways of doing this which are a bit beyond the scope here, but which are basically described in the Trados Help under File types. Your client may be able to supply you with an .INI file which defines the XML and this may save you quite a lot of work.

Hope this helps!

Roy

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Roy! Feb 11, 2014

Roy OConnor wrote:

If the XML type is not known or undefined, then you can use the file type Any XML as default. Once you have translated a couple of files, check that your target text is properly embedded in the XML formatting code.

I have only one huge file, about 100K words, this is the reason I want to make sure in advance that I am doing everything right.

If your Trados editor is not showing the tags correctly, then you need to change the parser. There are various ways of doing this which are a bit beyond the scope here, but which are basically described in the Trados Help under File types. Your client may be able to supply you with an .INI file which defines the XML and this may save you quite a lot of work.

I will do that and ask the client for more details and the INI file.

Thank you.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just a tip... Feb 11, 2014

... if you open the file using the AnyXML defaults then perform a Pseudotranslate using the Batch Tasks and use the question mark option. So all translatable text extracted is replaced using question marks.

Then open the XML in an editor and see if anything obvious is missing. The immediate things that will be missing are where you have translatable text in attributes as these are not translatable by default. Easy to change but they just won't be extracted for translation without specifying which ones you want to translate.

Always good to create a custom XML filetype for handling XML files correctly.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working on XML in Studio 2011

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search