Studio 2014 - Excel - Post-Process with [SOURCE] file
Thread poster: d5t6

d5t6
Canada
Local time: 17:38
Feb 12, 2014

Hi there !

Great community, I had to subscribe ... and ask a questionicon_wink.gif

As some of will remember, with SDLX, it was possible to delete a bunch of cells (NOT rows, NOT columns) in an Excel file, preprocess, translate, review and then POST-process the ITD against the COMPLETE Excel source file so you didn't had to manually insert what was deleted at the beginning.

I was wondering if something similar could be done with Studio 2014.
I tried to modify the XML within the SDLXLIFF file, but I got lost and anyway, I think Studio convert the XML from the XLSX file to his own XML structure and it just doesn't work.

And remember, I'm NOT talking about hidden rows or columns, I'm talking about DELETED content that doesn't need to be translated.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !icon_biggrin.gif
-Dominic

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:38
English
I guess you have a couple of options... Feb 13, 2014

... that work in a slightly different way. There may be others, but these two might be helpful.

Option #1
Instead of deleting the cells colour them instead in excel and then set the colour as non-translatable so they are not exposed when you work. Once you save the target restore the colour and you’re good. This is explained here : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-br (second part of the post)

Option #2
Delete the cells and translate as you do now in a Project. Once finished add the original file into the Project, pre-translate it and you’re done.
Or add both files into the Project at the start. Translate the first with the deleted cells, then pretranslate and generate the target file for the second.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-02-13 06:25 GMT]

d5t6
Canada
Local time: 17:38
TOPIC STARTER
Studio 2014 - Excel - Post-Process with [SOURCE] file Feb 13, 2014

The colour trick is viable when everything (or almost everything) is the same colour in the Excel file, but I have clients who uses the whole rainbow palette in there so it's a bit painful to put everything like it was before.

I also thought about the pretranslation of the same, but complete file, but my problem is when I have to copy the source in other cells and hide/delete everything else around it.

Example: source text is in B25:B1225 and the translation must be in D25:D1225. And another bunch of source text is in E500:E2400 and must go in G500:G2400. Everything else must be deleted since it doesn't need to be translated.

I know my example is somewhat "extreme", but it happens more often than not with some of our clients, so doing the pretranslation trick will translate the source cells, which is a no-no. I could do it anyway and just copy/paste the source text over it, but that would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish in the first place, which is keep it simple, like SDLX did in the past.

I guess I'm stuck with the colour trick...

Thanks for confirming my doubts. At least it's better than manually copy/paste everything backicon_wink.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2014 - Excel - Post-Process with [SOURCE] file

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search