Celeste Klein
Celeste Klein
United States
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2014

Hello all,
I am working with Studio 2011 and have taken upon the fun task of updating a client TM based on post-DTP edits.

Upon doing searches for term/phrases to be updated in the TM for each language in the Translation Memories panel, I have noticed that I have duplicates. I know there is a duplicate search function that comes in very handy when one needs to clean the TM, which I now intend to use. Buy my problem is that I am not sure which segment of a duplicate is the "lat
... See more
Hello all,
I am working with Studio 2011 and have taken upon the fun task of updating a client TM based on post-DTP edits.

Upon doing searches for term/phrases to be updated in the TM for each language in the Translation Memories panel, I have noticed that I have duplicates. I know there is a duplicate search function that comes in very handy when one needs to clean the TM, which I now intend to use. Buy my problem is that I am not sure which segment of a duplicate is the "latest and greatest" one (that is, which one I should delete during cleanup).

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know if Trados displays TM segments from older to newer, or vice versa?
2. If not, can I "reorganize" these from older to newer so I can know which one I should delete?

PLEASE NOTE: I have not used fields or values, or filters, with these TMs, so using filters to search is unfortunately not an option for me at this point (I have now learned my lesson).

Thank you very much in advance to all who respond!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:23
English
The TM Results... Feb 13, 2014

... that are displayed in the TM Results window are displayed in order of match vale first and then recent first. So if you have three 100% matches (same source, different target) then the most recent will be at the top and the oldest at the bottom.

However, this does only apply to the ones that are found and displayed. So if there are newer ones that the search did not reach before the TM Results window filled up then these won't be displayed at all.

You can set the
... See more
... that are displayed in the TM Results window are displayed in order of match vale first and then recent first. So if you have three 100% matches (same source, different target) then the most recent will be at the top and the oldest at the bottom.

However, this does only apply to the ones that are found and displayed. So if there are newer ones that the search did not reach before the TM Results window filled up then these won't be displayed at all.

You can set the TM Results to display a maximum of 50 hits and this will provide more opportunity for more results to be displayed... but whilst I have not really played with this setting a lot I imagine that the higher you set this the longer you might have to wait for TM results to be returned. On a large TM this could affect performance.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Celeste Klein
Celeste Klein
United States
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Results display Feb 13, 2014

Paul,
Thank you very much for your quick response! That helps a lot. Having 50+ duplicates is not an issue at this point because my TMs are not that big. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

I have one more question: If a given segment was recently updated, either it manually in the TM itself (with my previous post-DTP editing) or from a project where segments were updated, will the updated segment be considered "newer" for TM result display purposes in the TM panel?
... See more
Paul,
Thank you very much for your quick response! That helps a lot. Having 50+ duplicates is not an issue at this point because my TMs are not that big. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

I have one more question: If a given segment was recently updated, either it manually in the TM itself (with my previous post-DTP editing) or from a project where segments were updated, will the updated segment be considered "newer" for TM result display purposes in the TM panel?

Thanks again,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How TM entries are organized/displayed - Studio 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »