https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/264499-how_to_exclude_lttextgt_and_lt_textgt_and_from_excel_files.html

How to exclude <text> and </text> and from Excel files?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:01
Feb 15, 2014

I have to translate an Excel file with software strings. Every string is surrounded by <text> and </text> and placed in its own table cell.

How can I let Studio 2014 only show the text that has to be translated (I don't want to see <text> and </text> or tags representing them)?

Pascal Zotto
Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Luxembourgish
+ ...
You find a solution here Feb 15, 2014

Hi,

Please check this link, it's what you are looking for:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/234694-trados_2011_new_segmentation_rule-page3.html

You then only need to either enter them as single or pair tags and exclude them from the strings with the according option.

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Seach replace before and after Feb 15, 2014

I have not had this problem with Studio yet, but if it was WordWorkbench or TagEditor, I would do this:
1) search "text" and replace with e.g. *_ (= that is asterisk and blank, so the next word is not attached), and "/text" with _$ (blank and dollar) or any other thing that Trados jumps over and does not count (e.g. 111, 222, 333).
You will still see the tags, but they won't have any impact DURING translation as the content of your cells is separated from the tags.
2) When you
... See more
I have not had this problem with Studio yet, but if it was WordWorkbench or TagEditor, I would do this:
1) search "text" and replace with e.g. *_ (= that is asterisk and blank, so the next word is not attached), and "/text" with _$ (blank and dollar) or any other thing that Trados jumps over and does not count (e.g. 111, 222, 333).
You will still see the tags, but they won't have any impact DURING translation as the content of your cells is separated from the tags.
2) When you are done, you simply search/replace backwards.
Be sure that you replace to the right capital letter format, when you deliver back. Else the numerical system that is supposed to read back these things might react negatively.
Regards

PS. I had to use quotation marks instead of < >, because they disappear there in ProZ

[Edited at 2014-02-15 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Just hide them... Feb 15, 2014

2nl wrote:

I have to translate an Excel file with software strings. Every string is surrounded by <text> and </text> and placed in its own table cell.

How can I let Studio 2014 only show the text that has to be translated (I don't want to see <text> and </text> or tags representing them)?

... it’s fairly simple to do, especially if you only have these tags. the process is explained here: http://wp.me/p2xDjK-sO

So for your example you just need one rule. Add a translatable tag pair as follows:

Start tag
<text>

End tag
</text>

The article explains where to place this.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to exclude <text> and </text> and from Excel files?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »