Termbase file too big?
Thread poster: Tomasz Cieńciała

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:27
Czech to Polish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2014

Hi, I wanted to ask you if it is normal if my termbase file is around 230 megabytes, while my translation memory file is around 20 megbytes. Shouldn't it be another way around? And isn't 230 the reason why adding new term to termbase lasts 5-10 seconds (which is imho too long)?

My termbase contains around 5000 entries - perhaps 230 megabytes is "little" too much for this small number of entries?

Perhaps there is a way to "trim down" termbase?

Thank you.

Lifeng Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
Export to txt and Reimport into an Empty Termbase Feb 16, 2014

I've managed quite a lot termbases.

Some of which contain 100000 term entries.

But none of those reach 200 megabytes.

Maybe you could export your existing entries into some external files (such as txt).

Create a new termbase (of course it's empty).

Import entries in txt into this new termbase.

Tomasz Cieńciała  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:27
Czech to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase file too big? Feb 17, 2014

Thank you for your answer - I will try to figure out how to export termbase. Do you perhaps remember how big were your large termbases?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Termbase file too big?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search