Thread poster: Teresa Moreno
Teresa Moreno
Teresa Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2014

I have been having problems managing RTF files with TagEditor, memoQ and Studio 2014.

They are 6 columns RTF files created with Wordfast:

ID Source Target Comments Status Filename

When I open them, I always get the same result: the source and target texts appear on the left side, as if they both were to be translated. I. e., I do not get a bilingual file.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong as I get the same results with any CAT, but I
... See more
I have been having problems managing RTF files with TagEditor, memoQ and Studio 2014.

They are 6 columns RTF files created with Wordfast:

ID Source Target Comments Status Filename

When I open them, I always get the same result: the source and target texts appear on the left side, as if they both were to be translated. I. e., I do not get a bilingual file.

I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong as I get the same results with any CAT, but I am clueless on what it is.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
Wordfast or DVX? Feb 17, 2014

Hi Teresa,

Are you sure they are Wordfast files?

The 6-column (ID Source Target Comments Status Filename) External View RTF files are created by Deja Vu X for collaboration with external translators.

If the Target column is empty, copy source to target in Word (do not change the header, first line). Then hide text in other columns and translate with your preferred CAT tool (with the setting "do not import/translate hidden text"). Be careful with the codes (
... See more
Hi Teresa,

Are you sure they are Wordfast files?

The 6-column (ID Source Target Comments Status Filename) External View RTF files are created by Deja Vu X for collaboration with external translators.

If the Target column is empty, copy source to target in Word (do not change the header, first line). Then hide text in other columns and translate with your preferred CAT tool (with the setting "do not import/translate hidden text"). Be careful with the codes (tags) and do not to join rows.

Selcuk
Collapse

Teresa Moreno
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem persists Feb 18, 2014

Hi Selcuk,

Thank you for your reply.

The agency told me the RTF was created with Wordfast, but it might be DVX. Anyway, it is indifferent as I have to return the reviewed file in the same format.

This is what I did:

1.- I have hidden all colums except Source and Target, keeping the headers. The target column has no empty segments. I saved it as RTF.

2.- I then created a project in Studio 2014 and added the prepared file. The hidden
... See more
Hi Selcuk,

Thank you for your reply.

The agency told me the RTF was created with Wordfast, but it might be DVX. Anyway, it is indifferent as I have to return the reviewed file in the same format.

This is what I did:

1.- I have hidden all colums except Source and Target, keeping the headers. The target column has no empty segments. I saved it as RTF.

2.- I then created a project in Studio 2014 and added the prepared file. The hidden colums are not shown, but the problem persists: The source and target columns are merged and it all appears as source to be translated.

What am I missing?
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:53
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
It seems that they used the wrong filter in DVX Feb 18, 2014

I guess that they used Wordfast Classic or TWB. If you see both source and target text in the Source column, next question is : Do (or did) you see the segment delimiters, "{", "}", "" in the source column, too?

If so, very probably they used the wrong filter when importing the editable (bilingual) file into DVX. Instead of using the filter for Trados Workbench they used the one for Word or RTF. That would explain why the External View (rtf file) exported from DVX shows source and t
... See more
I guess that they used Wordfast Classic or TWB. If you see both source and target text in the Source column, next question is : Do (or did) you see the segment delimiters, "{", "}", "" in the source column, too?

If so, very probably they used the wrong filter when importing the editable (bilingual) file into DVX. Instead of using the filter for Trados Workbench they used the one for Word or RTF. That would explain why the External View (rtf file) exported from DVX shows source and target text in the Source column and nothing in the Target column

It happened to me before .............

[Edited at 2014-02-18 20:55 GMT]
Collapse

Teresa Moreno
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems so... Feb 18, 2014

Thank you, Jorge.

I can see something that looks like this and might be the delimeters:
"{7}Advanced Support Knowledge Workshop{8} Specific Assumptions{9}. {10}"

The same delimiters appear in the target text:
"{7}Supuestos específicos del {8}Seminario de conocimientos de soporte avanzados{9}.{10}"

Should I then use Trados Workbench (!) and Word to review it? It would be annoying, as there are now several much advanced CATs!

Is the
... See more
Thank you, Jorge.

I can see something that looks like this and might be the delimeters:
"{7}Advanced Support Knowledge Workshop{8} Specific Assumptions{9}. {10}"

The same delimiters appear in the target text:
"{7}Supuestos específicos del {8}Seminario de conocimientos de soporte avanzados{9}.{10}"

Should I then use Trados Workbench (!) and Word to review it? It would be annoying, as there are now several much advanced CATs!

Is there any workaround I can use? Save the RTF as .doc, and when finishing the review, save the .doc as RTF?
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:53
English to Turkish
+ ...
screenshot Feb 21, 2014

Hi Teresa,

Can you please share a screenshot of the file. Sometimes an image is much better than words.

Selcuk

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RTF files in Studio 2014 (and other CATs) problem

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »