How to import TMX into Trados 2011 without the values missing?
Thread poster: Frank Lin

Frank Lin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 23, 2014

Hello Professionals,

I tried to import a TMX file into Trados 2011 earlier today, and surprisingly found out that all the values (such as creationdate, changedate, creationid, etc) and user-defined fields were missing. Could anyone provide a solution to this problem? Below is an example of the TMX I plan to import in Trados:

quality:100
storing mode:1
uncontrolled:0
lastuser:unknown
basestyle:
19. Properly trying cases of financial administration.
19、妥善审理金融行政管理案件。

window.NREUM||(NREUM={});NREUM.info={"beacon":"beacon-2.newrelic.com","licenseKey":"b2a2fd3fbf","applicationID":"1943941","transactionName":"ZFMBYEZRXhFRVkxYXF0ZNkZdH1YNQkBVH0NbRg==","queueTime":0,"applicationTime":679,"ttGuid":"","agentToken":"","userAttributes":"","errorBeacon":"jserror.newrelic.com","agent":"js-agent.newrelic.com\/nr-314.min.js"}

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
English
Poor XML in the example Feb 23, 2014

legaltranz wrote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<tmx version="1.4">
<header creationtool="Across" creationtoolversion="5.00.0" segtype="sentence" o-tmf="Across TMX export 5.00.0" adminlang="EN-US" srclang="en-US" datatype="unknown" creationdate="20140223T170215Z">
</header>
<body>
<tu creationdate="20060326T110610Z" changedate="20060326T110610Z" creationid="Default Supervisor" changeid="Default Supervisor" srclang="en-US">
<prop type="user-defined">quality:100</prop>
<prop type="user-defined">storing mode:1</prop>
<prop type="user-defined">uncontrolled:0</prop>
<prop type="user-defined">lastuser:unknown</prop>
<prop type="user-defined">basestyle:<cf size="10.5" font="Calibri" extstyle="no" dseid="99a9fce3-4d40-49cb-ac04-4083291b0a00"></prop>
<tuv xml:lang="en-US"><seg><bpt i="1" x="1"><cf size="12" extstyle="no"></bpt>19. Properly trying cases of financial administration.<ept i="1"></cf></ept></seg></tuv>
<tuv xml:lang="zh-CN"><seg><bpt i="1" x="1"><cf size="12" extstyle="no"></bpt>19、妥善审理金融行政管理案件。<ept i="1"></cf></ept></seg></tuv>
</tu>
<script type="text/javascript">window.NREUM||(NREUM={});NREUM.info={"beacon":"beacon-2.newrelic.com","licenseKey":"b2a2fd3fbf","applicationID":"1943941","transactionName":"ZFMBYEZRXhFRVkxYXF0ZNkZdH1YNQkBVH0NbRg==","queueTime":0,"applicationTime":679,"ttGuid":"","agentToken":"","userAttributes":"","errorBeacon":"jserror.newrelic.com","agent":"js-agent.newrelic.com\/nr-314.min.js"}</script></body>
</tmx>

Hi,

You need to convert reserved characters to XML entities for them to display correctly in this forum.

So, I took a quick look... first time I’ve seen an Across TMX export before. But I can’t import this at all because it’s not well formed. This may be because you missed something in preparing an example, so if you want to send me the file you’re working with I’ll gladly take a look?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change a value in the header Feb 24, 2014

I had a very similar problem last week.

When I imported a TMX from a different tool, the source and target segments were imported but the fields were not imported.

Edit the TMX files with a text editor and change this attribute:

o-tmf="Across TMX export 5.00.0"

to this:

o-tmf="TW4Win 2.0 Format"

In my case, after making this change, the import worked well.

I guess it is a bug in the import routine, I would not think it is done by design.

Daniel

Frank Lin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good tip Feb 25, 2014

to this:

This worked out perfectly. Many thanks!

United Kingdom
English
Works in Studio 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for that. I resolved it by importing into Trados 2007 and then exporting as a Trados TMX, but your trick is much easier.

Studio 2014 doesn't have a problem with this file even with the Across attribute.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
o-tmf Feb 25, 2014

Daniel García wrote:

I had a very similar problem last week.

When I imported a TMX from a different tool, the source and target segments were imported but the fields were not imported.

to this:

In my case, after making this change, the import worked well.

I guess it is a bug in the import routine, I would not think it is done by design.

Daniel

This has been the case for years, since Studio 2009 I think. I had to set the o-tmf string to TW4Win in the TMX files produced by LF Aligner to get Studio to handle them correctly. I'm not sure what happens with files produced by MQ et al, but whatever string I was using caused this problem.
I suspect that this may have been intentional: break some non-essential features for other tools and have "enhanced compatibility" for SDL-only workflows to discourage CAT-hopping. But then I'm known for coming up with crazy conspiracy theories.
Hopefully it was fixed in 2014.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
In my case I have Studio 2014 and still can reproduce. Feb 25, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for that. I resolved it by importing into Trados 2007 and then exporting as a Trados TMX, but your trick is much easier.

Studio 2014 doesn't have a problem with this file even with the Across attribute.

Regards

Paul

In my case, I can still reproduce it with Studio 2014 (with the latest CU) with a custom value for this attribute.

Does it work for you if you put something like this?

o-tmf="My Custom Tool 1.1"

In my case, it does not work. Could it be that Studio has a list of recognized tools and versions and that it will not import the fields if the value of o-tmf is not a supported / recognized?

I have just logged a case in the support portal with some sample files.

Daniel

[Edited at 2014-02-25 17:43 GMT]

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:13
Russian to English
+ ...
fill in the fields when importing Feb 25, 2014

If you have a tmx (in my case a tmx from memo; many separate tmx files) and you need to import them into trados, try the following:

1. create a TM in trados with particular fields identified for your TM.
2. use the import function and then at the last stage of the import procedure go to the top window and type in the required values.

This might be useful when you need to have only one marker for all segments in the imported file (in my case, it is the number of the file on the basis of which the tmx was created in memo).

United Kingdom
English
Using any o-omf attribute Feb 26, 2014

Daniel García wrote:

In my case, it does not work.

Hi Daniel,

This also worked for me. Can I see one of your example TMX files?

I doubt very much we would restrict the import to a set of known attributes because I doubt we care about these at all, and we also don't know a comprehensive enough list. The important thing is going to be that we can recognise the overall form.

Regards

Paul

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
o-tmf attribute Feb 26, 2014

SDL Support wrote:

Daniel García wrote:

In my case, it does not work.

Hi Daniel,

This also worked for me. Can I see one of your example TMX files?

I doubt very much we would restrict the import to a set of known attributes because I doubt we care about these at all, and we also don't know a comprehensive enough list. The important thing is going to be that we can recognise the overall form.

Regards

Paul

Interesting, in my case it does not work with a custom value. I have sent you an e-mail with the sample files.

Could it be that it is fixed in SP1 (in case you have an early version already)?

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import TMX into Trados 2011 without the values missing?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search