Thread poster: Dennis Boffy

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 01:04
English to Danish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2014

Hi all,

I am using Trados Studio 2011. My situation is this: I am working on a project with several files. When I finish one file, I pretranslate the next one in order to propagate the translations I added to the TM during translation of the first file(s). However, sometimes I will later come up with a better translation to repeated segments that I first translated in a previous file. The change is of course auto-propagated within the file I am working on, but how do I propagate the changed translations to the previously translated files?

With Workbench, I would open the previous files again and have Trados Translate to Fuzzy, which would make Trados quickly run through all the segments and only stop if the translation in the document was different from the one in the TM (that is, if I had saved a new/changed translation in the TM during work on a later file), and then insert the new translation from the TM. But that doesn't seem to work with Studio - when I use Translate to Fuzzy, Studio stops at almost every segment, even 100 % and CM segments, which I don't understand. Basically I need Studio to run through the files and only stop at the segments that would have Studio show the orange (or whatever color it is) bar at the bottom of the Translation Results window with the text "Different target in translation memory". Is that possible?

Alternatively, can I pretranslate the already translated files again? The problem with this solution is that I would like to check what Studio wants to change - since it is a batch process, I have no control over what is going on with my previously translated files. Which settings should I use to make sure that only my own new/changed translations are changed and/or to make it possible for me to filter the changes that the pretranslation function has made with the display filter in the editor to check that nothing has gone wrong? I fear that some of my work will be overwritten with the (poor) contents of the TM, which is why the "old" procedure with Workbench was so smart - it was quick, and I could easily see if I in fact wanted to update each fuzzy segment that Workbench found. In theory, with Studio I could of course open the previous files and manually jump from segment to segment while checking if the orange bar appears, but that would take forever.

In future, is it better to merge several files into one so that changes are automatically propagated throughout the project? Will I still be able to deliver the individual translated files to my customer?

I realize that this question is kinda tricky, so thanks a lot in advance for any replies! Also, I searched the forum for this but couldn't find a previous topic about exactly this issue - if it is in fact there, I apologize for the repeated question and would appreciate a pointer to the existing topic.

Regards,
Dennis

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Translate to Fuzzy Feb 24, 2014

Hi Dennis,

I tested your process with Studio 2011 and it should work exactly as you have stated. It does work like this for me. I created a small file, duplicated it with a different name, and then translated file #1, confirming segments to the TM as I went. I then opened the second file and changed several segments throughout the file and confirmed these, so I overwrite the TM entry in each case.

Then I opened the original file, pressed Ctrl+Alt+F to translate to fuzzy and the action stops at each changed segment as expected, and gives me the warning that there is a different target in translation memory.

So you’re intended process should work. This means there must be some other reason for this failing for you. Things I can think of are:

- You are not using the same TM for both files (apologies for that one... but it would be a reason)
- You didn't actually confirm the segments as you were working in the same file
- You didn't actually overwrite the TM when you did the second file... so you have multiple TUs allowing them both to be valid

I think, in your case, the last item seems the most likely, so perhaps you can check your TM to see if both entries are in there and if they are check your shortcuts to make sure you are not adding as a new TU all the time.

Maybe something in here will help you get to the bottom of this.

Regards

Paul

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstood problem? Feb 24, 2014

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad that my method works - in theory! But the three points you mention suggest that you might have misunderstood what happens when I try it. It's not that Trados just skips the segments where I would like it to stop during Translate to Fuzzy, it's kind of the opposite: that it stops much more often. It stops even for 100 % matches and CM segments instead of just going past them (since they are 100 % matches and the function should only stop at fuzzies). But just to make sure you have all the information, let me respond to your three points like this:

- I am using the same TM (and only one TM) for alle documents (and please feel free to bring up all ideas, even the ones that seem obvious!)
- I confirmed the "original" translation and the later confirmed the new translation of an identical source segment, causing it to be propagated within the same file. The propagated segments were not confirmed, but that shouldn't be a problem, should it?
- In some cases there are slight "variations" of a segment due to tags (different tags in otherwise identical segments), but other segments are completely identical. And Trados does identify the change in an identical segment if I manually find it and place the cursor there - then Trados immediately says "Different target in TM". So that part seems to be OK, the problem is to automate the process.

Does that make it clearer what is going wrong? I am completely at a loss, so thanks again for any help you can offer!

Regards,
Dennis

United Kingdom
English
I did understand the problem Feb 26, 2014

Hi Dennis,

I think I understood your explanation. Can you confirm whether the 100%/CM match is in the original segment or showing like this in the TM results window? If the segments are different I would still expect the search to stop because it’s looking for a difference between the segment and the TM results. This is irrespective of whether it’s a fuzzy, 100% or CM.

Maybe it’s also worth making sure you are viewing all formatting tags as well just in case you have some hidden. So they look identical but they are not. If you are in wysiwyg mode then pressing Ctrl+Shift+H will expose these tags if they are there.

Drop me an email if you like with some screenshots and maybe I can try and reproduce what you are getting? Or even better, if you can recreate a small example of before and after then send me the files.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:04
Russian to English
+ ...
shift to trados 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Dear colleagues,

Isn't (kinda) correct answer to the asker's qeustion is to shift to Trados 2014?

You can find the function merge the files in trados 2014 (you add the files to the project and then click "merge files" at the top).

This way you get several files displayed as a single file. You can make changes to a segment, and you any other segments that 100% matches to it, the auto-progagation will change the latter.

So, perhaps, the best option is to transition to 2014 and merge the files versus working out strategies to tackly the issue in 2011.

I used to work in 2011 for 2 years and I would have a list of 100 action points in excel that I would have to do in file 2 after finishing the work on file 1.

For instance, there is a term (widely used across the files), you have translated the term and then you changed it. So you would have to put it down somewhere, then open file No. 2 and change in File No. 2, etc.

In Trados 2014 all the files are displayed as a single file, so you can just ctrl+F the term and change it in every case (or find and replace, if feasible).

Zofia Romanis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:04
Member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
Solution!!! Feb 10, 2015

Hello all,
I have found a quick-ish way to resolve this,

My example: a project with 9 files - all nearly the same,

I had to go back to correct the same things in each file after amending one of them.

What I do is - I correct the segment in the first file and at the same moment delete the unwanted TM segment in the TM window above the translation, save the new translation of the segment Ctrl Enter to create just one segment with the new version in the TM. Carry on manyally in the whole file.

Go to the next file, leave target translation in, but change all the segments status to Untranslated.

Come out - start to pre-translate this file

The pre-translation will leave out the now different from the TM segments as untranslated.

Apply filter to show just the untranslated segments.

Clear the target of those segments.

Start Ctrl Enter from the first one and it should auto propagate the correct new version from the TM,

Some segment will have to be done manually because of tags or cause the old version was not deleted from the TM (I forgot a few, so just did it there and then)

I hope this helps, this is the quickest way I could figure out.

United Kingdom
English
Seems you discovered a manual... Feb 10, 2015

... way to use a feature that is already there... must be a good feature!!

What you can do is this:

1. Prepare your project
2. Run a batch task to export frequently recurring segments (the ones that would be AP'd)
3. Translate the exported file with the same TM
4. Pretranslate your Project

So the same thing except all these segments are provided for you in one file ready for translation. If you still use 2011 then look here for more info.

If you use 2014 then look here... although there won't be much difference in principle.

Regards

Paul

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
And why not merge the files? Feb 11, 2015

I suggest that for future projects, you use the "virtual merge" function of Studio 2014 and open all files in one shot, then you won't face this problem in the first place.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Propagate changed translations to other files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search