Added files to an existing project do not open
Thread poster: lalegjurovski
lalegjurovski
Macedonia (FYROM)
Feb 24, 2014

Hi,

I am pretty new to SDL 2014 and I have the following problem. I have a project called New Project and I added a document in pdf while creating the project. Translated it with no problem whatsoever. Then, couple of weeks later another document from the same company and same area of expertise came. I opened the existing project, added the new file and all the options for the files (past files and the new one) became grey. On the ribbon and on the right click menu also. So there was no way to open both old and the new file for translation. I close the project, reopen it, and the old files are present and 100 % finished and the new file isn't there.

Problem is bypassed by opening completely new project for the individual file.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

It would be very annoying to open new project for every file from the same company.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:27
Italian to English
One or two guesses Feb 24, 2014

Hi there,

First off, there is nothing odd about your workflow. By and large, I use customer projects, too, and generally have no problems with adding new files to existing projects.

Nevertheless, there are one or two things to watch out for. First off, your original project may not contain the file type of the new document you want to add. If it doesn't, go to Project settings\File types and check what is available. If you need to translate a file type that is not on the list, click on "Additional installed File Types exist" and select what you need.

Another problem is that sometimes you may receive documents that claim to be DOC or DOCX files but are in fact scanned files or exports from DTP programs. Imported into Studio, they may appear with "Reference" in the Usage column instead of "Translatable". Delete these and re-import after you have pasted them into Word as text and saved the file as proper DOC or DOCX files. Translate the text, export and, if necessary, format outwith Studio.

If your customer is using a DTP program, though, don't forget that Studio can handle most standard formats without the palaver of exporting to text and re-importing. A swift phone call to sort out a workflow that suits everyone can save a lot of bother.

Finally if at all possible, avoid PDF files. Lean gently on your customers to obtain the source file

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Added files to an existing project do not open

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search