SDL Studio 2011 - "Save Target as" - receiving an error "failed to save target content.."
Thread poster: Suzanne Reynolds

Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Chinese to English
Feb 25, 2014

Hi,

I haven't used Trados in over ten years now, but was given a job today using SDL Studio.

I am asked to deliver clean files - and from advice given on this forum elsewhere, I understand that to save clean files, I must 'save target as' and add an extension (e.g. edit).

I have done this but repeatedly receive the "failed to save target content: object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message.

Can anyone please help me resolve this? I am pretty unfamiliar still and don't quite understand!!

I am extremely grateful for any help you can offer. Many thanks.

Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:27
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Hope this helps ... Feb 25, 2014

http://producthelp.sdl.com/kb/Articles/4457.html

I had the same problem and had to run the 4th solution.
Everything's fine now !

Kind regards,

United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Most grateful! Feb 25, 2014

Thank you kindly, Béatrice!!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
same problem Feb 25, 2014

using Studio 2014. this same error message takes me to a segment where there are no tags at all, as I have checked displaying all tags in the document.
I think that if I edited the offending segment in Notepad++, I might be able to get my put-back file, but I have no clue what I should edit.
hope you can help.
thanks,
Lorenzo

United Kingdom
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I could help! Feb 25, 2014

Hello Lorenzo,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I tried Beatrice's solution but I'm afraid it didn't help me. I have absolutely no clue how to assist you with anything TRADOS related. I have decided I need to re-do my Trados training completely.

Sorry I can't help you, but I hope someone else can.

Kind regards.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
There are suggestions in the Knowledgebase. Feb 25, 2014

To troubleshoot files try these articles:

How to troubleshoot issues with generating your target file in SDL Trados Studio : http://goo.gl/gW6X6

How to troubleshoot problematic files : http://goo.gl/Mlodc

If that doesn't help, and if you are allowed to share the file you can send me the fully translated sdlxliff and the original source file and I'll happily take a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
thanks for your reply! Feb 25, 2014

S_Reynolds wrote:

Hello Lorenzo,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I tried Beatrice's solution but I'm afraid it didn't help me. I have absolutely no clue how to assist you with anything TRADOS related. I have decided I need to re-do my Trados training completely.

Sorry I can't help you, but I hope someone else can.

Kind regards.

no worries! In fact, the source doc won't save either in its original .docx format, so there must be a problem with it that isn't letting me save the target file.
Actually, I don't have the source file, as I was sent a project package, but the agency has a dedicated helpdesk that will surely solve the problem. cross fingers.

in other posts, I've read that saving a .docx to .doc, or a .xlsx to .xls, or vice versa, and retranslating the file usually solves the problem. maybe that could be a solution for you!

good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2011 - "Save Target as" - receiving an error "failed to save target content.."

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search