Thread poster: Daniel Chan

Daniel Chan  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:09
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 25, 2014

The first time I started up Studio 2014, I entered a language pairs (English-UK to Chinese_CN) for my TM. How can I add additional source and target languages later on (eg English to German/Japan/English-US) ?

Thanks for the advice.

Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
English
If you mean the language choice... Feb 25, 2014

... when you first installed Studio then the only time you can do this is at the start. This is a restriction of the Freelance version.

So reinstall, and select only one from each language group. No need to select English US and English UK for example. In your case I guess you just select these at the start:

English US
German DE
Chinese PRC
Japanese JP
.... and one other

Regards

Paul

Daniel Chan  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:09
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
add language choices after TM created in Studio 2014 Freelance Feb 25, 2014

Thanks Paul. I need to translate English in three variants: UK, US and AU into Chinese also in three variants: CN, HK and Taiwan. The German and French is for me to do the exercises in the workbook.

If I reinstall Studio 2014, do you mean I only need to select English and Chinese without sub-languages? If I create a file-base TM later on, is it correct that I just select English, Chinese, German and French without sub-languages?

Regards,
Daniel

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
English
handling sub-languages Feb 25, 2014

Hi Daniel,

ok - I think I understand your question now. The different flavours of English will all be available to you in Studio. But you will have to create a separate TM for each language pair. So you would probably require eighteen TMs for this.

So the question is. How important is it to retain a TM with the separate flavours distinguished from each other? If it’s important then you have two options I guess.

Option 1
Create eighteen different TMs and select the appropriate one depending on the direction you are working

Option 2
Use AnyTM which will allow you to use a single TM for everything. But if the distinction between languages is still important then you could create field values for each flavour and as you updated the TM you update with a specific field value. So create fields labelled like these for example:

en(US) - zh(CN)
en(GB) - zh(CN)
en(AU) - zh(CN)
zh(CN) - en(US)
zh(CN) - en(GB)
zh(CN) - en(AU)
etc....

The as you translate you just select the appropriate language direction you are working in and update each TU stanped with this pair. This would make it possible for you to filter on the single TM in future if you wanted to and only see the TUs relevant to a particular language pair.

You read about these things here:

AnyTM… or SuperTM! : http://wp.me/s2xDjK-supertm

Fields and Attributes in Studio : http://wp.me/p2xDjK-qM

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-02-25 19:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

add language pairs after TM created

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search