No Term in Term Recognition
Thread poster: Worder Company
Worder Company
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2014

Could you please advise me what to do in the following case: I have just added a term in the termbase, but for some reason the term is not shown in the recognition window (i have the most "frivolous" settings -- 30 and the highest, the highest in the settings)

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Termbank search? Feb 25, 2014

Andrew,

The first thing I'd check: Are you sure that the termbase recognition window is active? Maybe you accidentally clicked on termbase search, so you won't see the results. Are you seeing any recognized terms, or none at all?

If that's not the case: The termbase recognition in Studio is a notorious failure. All it does is finding some of the terms in the termbase, and only sometimes. This bug has been present since Studio 2009 - nothing has been done about it so far.

HTH,
Erik

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:17
English
Although it’s not in the window.... Feb 26, 2014

Andrew052 wrote:

Could you please advise me what to do in the following case: I have just added a term in the termbase, but for some reason the term is not shown in the recognition window (i have the most "frivolous" settings -- 30 and the highest, the highest in the settings)

... can you see a red line over the term in the source column when the relevant segment is active? If so the most likely problem is that you have got the search view active as opposed to the recognition.

Regards

Paul

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the term recognition window opened; other terms are displayed Feb 26, 2014

Thank you for you answers.

I have opened the term recognition window.

Other terms in the segment are displayed.

I have implemented a strategy that is unique to trados (I create the translation memories that have a breakdown by files to display any hits with the files -- see the post "Translation Memory Without Alignment), so it is not possible for me to shift to another program.

Also, i receive projects in trados and manage translations in trados, so it would be very hard for me to shift to, for instance, memo.

So, my question: is there any alternative to term recognition in trados -- maybe some app on the open exchange to enable displaying all the terms.

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tweaking Java Feb 26, 2014

I have been advised by Russian distributor of Trados to perform the following actions:

1. open java and set the level to medium.
2. unmark 'enable the next generation java plug-in"
3. restrart trados
4. delete all other Javas

After these actions the add term window opens, but there are no lines to add the source and target terms. After rolling back these changes, the add term window works OK.

So, I guess that this is not a viable option for me. However, Trados reps say that the above actions should solve any issues as regards no terms displayed when found in a segment.

My Java is 7, update 51; no other Javas on PC.

What would advise to do?

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
added to "tweaking java" Feb 26, 2014

However, if I leave the mark in place at " 'enable the next generation java plug-in", but set the java level to medium, add term window works OK. Will it solve the problem with the muliterm recognition?

Worder Company
Russian Federation
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
added to "tweaking java" 2 Feb 26, 2014

By the way, if you have Java at medium, your augo-propagation function would not work.

Trados makes life so much easier. I have just edited about 40 pages (like a lot of editing -- changing word order, terms, etc.).

I have some other 40 pages of 100%-matches (like the same files, but having some particular sections that differ -- reports).

Now I have two variants in my TM -- 1) the one that I have added when I was translating and 2) the second that I added when I was editing (in order to augo-propagate across other files, merged in 14, as I was sure trados was doing all this time...). I cannot clear any TUs from TM, as I was simultaneously translating another section from another place in the document and going back and forth... So, I would have to manually go thru the rest of the file to identify any variants in the TM!!! What a bummer, seriously!

DO NOT TWEAK JAVA AND LEAVE THE CHANGES IN PLACE, UNLESS YOU'RE SURE AUTO-PROPAGE WORKS!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Term in Term Recognition

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search