Reviewing MS Word format translations in Studio 2014/SDL XLIFF Converter?
Thread poster: Renate Schipper

Renate Schipper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 26, 2014

Hello,

I am fairly new to Studio 2014 and I sometimes outsource translation work. When I receive the translations, in Microsoft Word format, I want to review them in Trados 2014 (using the TM’s and the termbase I’ve made).

So I create a new project, add the source files and then... don't know how to add the target files.
Until now I have copied and pasted from Word into the target segmentsicon_wink.gif Surely there has to be a better, and quicker way? I have also tried the SDL XLIFF Converter for MS Office, but cannot convert simple Word files with that, unless I missed something.

To my surprise I haven't been able to find the answer to this rather simple question yet.

Can anyone here please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-02-26 19:30 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:57
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Align documents Feb 26, 2014

You're looking for the "align documents" feature. Go to Welcome>home and click on Align documents.
You'll be asked for your source and target files and the result will be a TM.

Then, if you want to review the translation in Studio, create a project with the source file and your TM.

United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This worked, thanks! Feb 27, 2014

I would've never considered using "Align" for this, so I really appreciate your help, Emma.
The files were not perfectly aligned, so I might use LF Aligner next time.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
LF Aligner Feb 27, 2014

Renate Schipper wrote:

The files were not perfectly aligned, so I might use LF Aligner next time.

Yes, I do too, while waiting for SDL to add an editor to its aligner...

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Another workflow Feb 27, 2014

Dear Renate,

Another workflow is:

Open the Wellcome window of SDL Trados Studio 2014 and click on Translate Single Document on the Home tab.
Open the document and click on Copy all Source to Target in the Editor window.
Save the SDLXLIFF file.
Click on the Review tab and click on Export for External Review. Disable Track changes in the resulting DOC file - there must be a Trados setting somewhere - and ask the translator to only translate the Target segment column.
Use Update from External Review and enter the (reviewed) translations in your TM.

Cheers,
Gerard

United Kingdom
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target not updated? Feb 28, 2014

Hello Gerard,

Many thanks for your suggestion! It sounds straightforward enough and I've tried it several times, but when I use 'Update from External Review', the source text is still there. I'm sure it should work though, I must have made a mistake somewhere along the way.

As for 'track changes': haven't found that setting in Trados yet, but I simply accepted all changes in Word, then disabled track changes and saved it again.

Groeten,

Renate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing MS Word format translations in Studio 2014/SDL XLIFF Converter?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search