Thread poster: Volker Freitag

Volker Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:01
Member (2014)
English to German
Mar 3, 2014

Hello everybody,

With term recognition enabled, Trados suggests terms from my client's server-based termbase to be inserted in the segment. Unfortunately, it also suggests 'forbidden' terms, and there are quite a few...

Is there any way to exclude these forbidden terms from the suggestions so I do not have to look up all the corresponding entries in the database? E.g., if the term 'cruise control' is detected in a segment, I do not want to be prompted to use 'Tempomat' (forbidden!).

I am apparently too stupid to solve this problem myself today. Blame it on the carnival parade passing by outside...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Volker

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lilo
Ukraine
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
+ ...
forbidden terms Aug 5, 2016

To be able to use forbidden or allowed terms, your TB needs to be structured with term-level descriptive fields like "Type". You can edit the existing structure in Excel by adding a 'forbidden' column and an 'allowed' column. or just add your forbidden terms in project settings->verification->verification settings. you can do this in Studio 2015. Don't remember the process in 2011. Sorry.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:01
French to German
+ ...
Add a field "status" in your term entries Aug 7, 2016

Volker

You termbase needs to have a field named "Status" (as an example, you may call it differently if you want). It must be a field of type "picklist" and take values such as "allowed", "preferred", "forbidden", deprecated, etc. (depending on your needs).

Once you have done this, you can tell Studio which status corresponds to the forbidden terms. You do this in your project settings under "Verification - Terminology Verifier - Verification Settings".

Studio will then issue a warning whenever you use a forbidden term.

Walter

cebolapicles
Local time: 20:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Needs improving May 3

Thanks Walter, this helped me!

Although I do think this could be improved by means of showing "Forbidden" terms with at least a different color or something that sets it apart from the "Allowed" terms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Forbidden' terms in MultiTerm and Studio 2011

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search