https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/265357-forbidden_terms_in_multiterm_and_studio_2011.html

'Forbidden' terms in MultiTerm and Studio 2011
Thread poster: Volker Freitag
Volker Freitag
Volker Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:58
English to German
Mar 3, 2014

Hello everybody,

With term recognition enabled, Trados suggests terms from my client's server-based termbase to be inserted in the segment. Unfortunately, it also suggests 'forbidden' terms, and there are quite a few...

Is there any way to exclude these forbidden terms from the suggestions so I do not have to look up all the corresponding entries in the database? E.g., if the term 'cruise control' is detected in a segment, I do not want to be prompted to use 'Tempomat'
... See more
Hello everybody,

With term recognition enabled, Trados suggests terms from my client's server-based termbase to be inserted in the segment. Unfortunately, it also suggests 'forbidden' terms, and there are quite a few...

Is there any way to exclude these forbidden terms from the suggestions so I do not have to look up all the corresponding entries in the database? E.g., if the term 'cruise control' is detected in a segment, I do not want to be prompted to use 'Tempomat' (forbidden!).

I am apparently too stupid to solve this problem myself today. Blame it on the carnival parade passing by outside...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Volker
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 11:58
English to Russian
+ ...
forbidden terms Aug 5, 2016

To be able to use forbidden or allowed terms, your TB needs to be structured with term-level descriptive fields like "Type". You can edit the existing structure in Excel by adding a 'forbidden' column and an 'allowed' column. or just add your forbidden terms in project settings->verification->verification settings. you can do this in Studio 2015. Don't remember the process in 2011. Sorry.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Add a field "status" in your term entries Aug 7, 2016

Volker

You termbase needs to have a field named "Status" (as an example, you may call it differently if you want). It must be a field of type "picklist" and take values such as "allowed", "preferred", "forbidden", deprecated, etc. (depending on your needs).

Once you have done this, you can tell Studio which status corresponds to the forbidden terms. You do this in your project settings under "Verification - Terminology Verifier - Verification Settings".

Stu
... See more
Volker

You termbase needs to have a field named "Status" (as an example, you may call it differently if you want). It must be a field of type "picklist" and take values such as "allowed", "preferred", "forbidden", deprecated, etc. (depending on your needs).

Once you have done this, you can tell Studio which status corresponds to the forbidden terms. You do this in your project settings under "Verification - Terminology Verifier - Verification Settings".

Studio will then issue a warning whenever you use a forbidden term.

Walter
Collapse

Janaine Machado
Janaine Machado
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Needs improving May 3, 2017

Thanks Walter, this helped me!

Although I do think this could be improved by means of showing "Forbidden" terms with at least a different color or something that sets it apart from the "Allowed" terms.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Forbidden' terms in MultiTerm and Studio 2011

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »