Are "multiTermDesktop" and "AutoSuggest Creator" necessary?
Thread poster: Alfred Kohler

Alfred Kohler  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:52
English to German
Mar 4, 2014

Hi there,

I just bought the software "SDL-Trados studio 2014".

Now I am thinking about purchasing the two add-ons:

multiTerm Desktop

and

AutoSuggest Creator

I would like to know if these add-ons are really helpful, or not.
I believe the AutoSuggest Creator is necessary, but what about
the multi-Term ad-on? Do I need it?

Thanks in advance

Alfred

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:52
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes Mar 4, 2014

Dear Alfred,

as for MT Desktop, you should already own it. As far as I know, you can't buy Trados Studio without buing MultiTerm Desktop. It is a separate download, though, so look into your SDL account.

As for Autosuggest Creator, I'd say that yes, it's helpful, because the Autosuggest feature will really boost your productivity. You need the creator to, well, obviously to create Autosuggest dictionaries. Well worth it, although you need a sufficiently large corpus to create an AS dictionary.

HTH,
Erik

Sian Cooper  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Depends what you want to do Mar 4, 2014

Hi Alfred. AutoSuggest is very much a personal (or team) productivity tool; whereas MultiTerm is a terminology management tool, aimed at ensuring consistency of term use for a specific client/project, or of course for in-house style control.

I think perhaps Erik is thinking about the fact that you can always use a TermBase (attached to your project), if someone provides you with one; but I am fairly certain that in order to be able to create one, you have to have purchased the module. I'm sure the very helpful SDL sales people will be able to clarify that!

I very much like MultiTerm - although I recommend the free tool Glossary Creator to generate a TermBase from a spreadsheet or Word doc; I have found the interface in MultiTerm far too confusing for my simple needs to date (and I'm very impatient). You can download that from the SDL developer pages.

Your question, though, has just inspired me to buy AutoSuggest create, because after a couple of years I have large enough TMs to make it worth while, I think (AutoSuggest dictionaries are generated from you TMs).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Incorrect... fortunately! Mar 4, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:

I think perhaps Erik is thinking about the fact that you can always use a TermBase (attached to your project), if someone provides you with one; but I am fairly certain that in order to be able to create one, you have to have purchased the module. I'm sure the very helpful SDL sales people will be able to clarify that!

Hi Sian,

SDL MultiTerm is part of your package when you purchase a Freelance or Professional version of SDL Trados Studio. You don’t have to specifically ask for it, but you will find it in the downloads section of your MyAccount after purchasing Studio.

Good tip on the Glossary Converter though... it’s an excellent tool!

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Paul (delayed!) Mar 24, 2014

Hi Paul - thanks for clarifying that for me. I'm sure I had to buy something extra for something, but you can tell from that vagueness that we are unlikely to find out what I'm talking about

Meanwhile I bought Autosuggest create but am not presently sure it was worth it. Also it was immediately offered at half price which makes me suspect you're about to release something better!

On that note - are there future release plans (that we can see) anywhere? (I think I'm just being lazy...)

[Edited at 2014-03-24 20:55 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
AutoSuggest Mar 24, 2014

Sian Cooper wrote:

Meanwhile I bought Autosuggest create but am not presently sure it was worth it.

Stick with AutoSuggest, Sian.

To begin with, I wasn't all that optimistic either but even in sectors that aren't particularly repetitive, AutoSuggest comes up with an impressive proportion of keystroke-saving proposals if the TM you used to generate it was reasonably large.

So no, you don't need AutoSuggest but yes, it can boost your productivity.

France
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Giles - wondering where I'm going wrong though Mar 28, 2014

HI Giles - I wonder, could you tell me how Autosuggest is reacting for you? I am translating away and getting not a peep from it. My TM is not massive, but it's not insignificant, and I know there are quite a lot of terms in it that I am using in my current project (because I'm checking in concordance to see what I've done before for them). I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something extra now; it is just the same as when I hadn't got it. I'm expecting it to suggest things as I type (like a TermBase does). I'm also expecting to be able to add auto-suggest terms... ?

I've tried regenerating it - and checking the setup in Options, it's switched on. But nada zilch niet.

Am I being very dim again?

Thankyou!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Italy
Italian to English
AutoSuggest Mar 28, 2014

As our Atril poster boy - and I write that with affection, not to mention considerable envy for his IT skills - Grzegorz points out, you need large(-ish) TMs to get the best out of AutoSuggest. My main AS dictionaries were generated from TMs of more than 100,000 TUs.

However, TM quality counts as well. I find it helps to use AS with sector-focused TMs. Most of my work is either wine or journalism-related and both sectors offer a plethora of jargon that, if properly deployed, can perk up a translation no end. The older I get, the more often the elusive ideal piece of jargon is dangling somewhere just beyond the tip of my mental tongue. Between them, AS and MT help to make a lot of that stuff quickly available when memory fails.

Another benefit is the saving in typing time when AS dredges up a long phrase from the context and you can insert it with a click.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Add Autosuggest terms Mar 28, 2014

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I'm also expecting to be able to add auto-suggest terms... ?

You can't.
By design.

Grzegorz, as much as I enjoy a little Trados bashing from time to time, and as ubiquitious and well-deserved as it usually is: This isn't true. It's true that you can't add terms to an autosuggest dictionary, but that's not its purpose. Autosuggest dictionaries are only one type of possible sources for Studio's autosuggest feature, the other ones being termbank entries and autotext entries. Both can be easily populated with your own terms, and they will be offered by the autosuggest function.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-03-28 13:38 GMT]

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Autosuggest is not working cumulativ... Mar 29, 2014

...which means, the once created dictionary is static and has to be updated at intervals to consider contents of new entries of the project too. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Perhaps that´s what Grzegorz Gryc wanted to point on and that Deja Vu is able to perform the Autosuggest function on the fly (called "AutoWrite") , a feature, which even memoQ´s "Muse" isn´t able of doing so.

Italy
Italian to English
Hi Matthias Mar 30, 2014

That's right.

AS dictionaries are static so you have to regenerate them periodically if you want the new stuff to appear. Remember, though, that AS is most useful when it digs up long phrases that you can insert quickly. The tool for terminology in Studio is MultiTerm. You can add new terms on the fly and slip in some context or other useful information while you're about it.

New terms in MT are available immediately and show up with AS suggestions at your mouse tip.

And as eifreitag points out, if it's a term or phrase you want to use but keep separate from your AS dictionaries, create an AutoText dictionary and add the item on the fly with the Alt+7 shortcut. Again, AT items are immediately available.

[Edited at 2014-03-30 09:41 GMT]

France
French to English
+ ...
All very useful - I now like AutoSuggest - and Multiterm a bit Apr 29, 2014

Thanks everyone for this useful thread.

Very pleased I bought AutoSuggest! I now regenerate my Autoterm dics. regularly and am definitely finding them useful. I particularly do it in the middle of a long piece with repeating terms (legal and tech stuff), once I've got the new ones in there, regenerate and thereafter am much speeded up.

MultiTerm is now working (Yay, I have managed to add new terms on the fly and worked out how to dock and autohide the window) after the latest update of both Java and Studio 2014. Although the Termbase Search function stopped working with 2014 and still doesn't (for me, anyway) so I use termbase viewer, typing in the first characters of a combination - visually unpleasant at it flickers as it searches sequentially through the terms, and not as satisfactory, since the search may need to look in terms not just at the start, but it's an option. I havn't seen anyone else log this particular issue so I'm being passive.

Overall certainly time savers.

[Edited at 2014-04-29 09:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-29 09:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are "multiTermDesktop" and "AutoSuggest Creator" necessary?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search