Opening a xml file in Studio 2014 => bits of sentences missing in the source !
Thread poster: Mr_P
Mr_P
France
Mar 4, 2014

Hi all!

So I've recently started working with Trados Studio 2014; everything was alright, until I tried to work on a set of about 100 xml files... My main issue is that sometimes, Studio just skips bits of sentences in the source file!

This is really weird because:
1. It does not happen regularly, nor with a specific type of content.
2. The missing bits are parts of a single sentence - i.e. no separator of any kind, no xml tag somewhere in between...
3. When I open the original xml file with, say, Notepad, I can see the full sentence without problem!

Example:
"Attach the distance sleeves and hydraulic cylinders to the nuts." in the original xml file becomes:
"ulic cylinders to the nuts." in the source side of Studio 2014.

Does any of you have any idea as to why this happens and how I could solve it?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy OConnor
Local time: 03:28
Member (2009)
German to English
A tag problem Mar 4, 2014

Hi, Mr P,

This is very likely due to missing tags. One way of curing the problem would be to ask your client for an XML file containing all the tags you are likely to find in the files you have. You then use this to create an XML file type (see Project settings).

Another, more long-winded way is to start with say the biggest file you have (likely to contain the largest number of different tags) to create your basic XML file type and then add other tags to the parser manually. This is OK if you only have to add one or two, but it might be very tedious if you have lots of different tags.

I am still working with 2011 at the moment and have not changed to 2014 (waiting for a quiet time!). 2011 has problems with empty CDATA sections. If your problem is due to these, then it is pretty easy to do a global edit and replace CDATA with a placeholder e.g. CeeDat, translate the files and then replace the placeholders after translation. That's only a workaround though and you will also have to delete the CeeDats in your TM.

It's probably well worth your while delving into the workings of the XML file types as this file type is becoming more popular. The only problem is that there are so many different types of XML!
Hope this helps!

Roy

J Gallagher  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:28
English to Finnish
+ ...
Have a good look at the source files, too Mar 4, 2014

Hi,

You may want to open a source file in a text editor like Notepad++. It is freeware.

Select Language - XML to see the tags and symbols better. Then select View-Show Symbol-Show All Characters.

Then check if there is anything funny, like LF, in the spots where your text has disappeared.

I recently encountered problems with source material created with XML editor XMetal - the editing style sheets had broken the lines so the segmentation went haywire and, naturally, messed up the TM matches.

I also installed an evaluation version of Studio 2014 and tried to create a project of 500+ DITA xml files. A real mess - Studio kept rejecting many of the files and in the end, I just gave up. Studio 2011 had no problems with the same files, same memory, same ini rules. I was not impressed at all, will postpone purchasing Studio 2014.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a xml file in Studio 2014 => bits of sentences missing in the source !

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search