Thread poster: Marlene Blanshay

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:09
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 4, 2014

A client wants me to review a file in Word that was translated in trados. usually my clients send me cleaned up files from Wordfast or Trados and i review them in word with track changes.

But this one wants to leave the french and english and I would review the english. I know I have to watch out for the tags etc, not to remove them.

Does track changes work the same with un-clean files? Aside from avoiding the tags etc. I assume they probably send it to other proofreaders in that format but I really prefer cleaned up files, with the original document as reference.

Any suggestions to make sure that there are no problems etc?

thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:09
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It used to be possble to hide the source text to give a 'clean' appearance Mar 5, 2014

There used to be a short cut (I think it was Ctrl + , i.e. Ctrl and the comma key) which alternately hid or showed the tags and the source text.

For proofreading I preferred a 'clean' file, but it was often practical to use the unclean file.

Track Changes works fine, but they have to be accepted and turned off before Trados will open the file. That is not your problem.

I always used to make the tags visible temporarily if I needed to correct a whole sentence, but if you do not delete the first letter or the full stop at the end, you are normally safe!

If the whole sentence disappears, you have hit a tag. 'Undo' ( Ctrl + Z or use the icon at the top of your screen, or right click and 'Reject Deletion'). Then make the tags visible and try again.

It is a while since I have proofread an uncleaned file - the newer versions of Trados are different, but that is how I did it.

I am not sure it still works with the newer versions of Word either, but it might be worth trying.

Good luck!

Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:09
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good to know Mar 5, 2014

thanks christine. I'll keep that in mind. I asked the client if they could send cleaned up files and they'll ask the end client but i'll keep this in mind.
usually my other clients send me cleaned up files, but it's up to them obviously.

thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Proofing un-clean files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search