Trados Studio 2014 Freelance in Network Environment?
Thread poster: Rafael Delfin

Rafael Delfin
English to Spanish
Mar 6, 2014

Hello everyone.

I've been using the trial version of Studio 2014 because I'm evaluating the purchase of the Freelance Plus edition (the "Plus" means that it allows you to install your license on a second computer, that's all).

I'm planning to get this license mainly for my home computer, and occasionally, at my office. But as you know and according to what I've read, the Freelance license does allow for its use within a LAN environment (your typical office network), and for that, they recommend the "Professional" edition which is 3 times more expensive.

I understand why they do this, and this is not a question about price.

When I had 2 separate Freelance licenses of Trados 2007, they were also not functional for the two of them to be used simultaneously within a LAN, but it was possible to use just one of them (as soon as the second computer tried to launch and execute the application, Trados 2007 would give you this message of "there is another computer in the network already running trados" and it would lock the application and that would be it).

I've been testing the trial 2014 version within the LAN without any trouble (just me, no other person), and I need to know that even though the freelance license says that is not compatible in a networked environment, if it's the same situation as I described with the 2007 edition where as long as you are the only person in the network, if the Freelance edition of 2014 would work, or is it that because of my trial period it's allowing me to use within the LAN environment?

In case anyone already has the Freelance license of 2014 and happens to have the capability of testing it in their office LAN just for curiosity and confirmation, I would appreciate your super valuable confirmation of whether the Freelance is usable by being the only one in use within that LAN.

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:01
French to Polish
+ ...
Networking... Mar 6, 2014

Rafael Delfin wrote:

When I had 2 separate Freelance licenses of Trados 2007, they were also not functional for the two of them to be used simultaneously within a LAN, but it was possible to use just one of them (as soon as the second computer tried to launch and execute the application, Trados 2007 would give you this message of "there is another computer in the network already running trados" and it would lock the application and that would be it).

For T2007 and earlier, you can use as many Freelance as you like if properly firewalled.
I.e. the communication for addresses of the machines running Trados should be closed.
You can also use managed switches and asymmetric VLANs.
AFAIK many translation offices do so

For T2009 and newer, I dunno, I never tested it.

I've been testing the trial 2014 version within the LAN without any trouble (just me, no other person), and I need to know that even though the freelance license says that is not compatible in a networked environment, if it's the same situation as I described with the 2007 edition where as long as you are the only person in the network, if the Freelance edition of 2014 would work, or is it that because of my trial period it's allowing me to use within the LAN environment?

The problem is not the LAN itself but the authentication mode.
If you login to a domain, Trados Freelance will not work.
If you login to a local machne, it will work.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2014-03-06 10:21 GMT]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where did you read that it does not work in a network? Mar 6, 2014

Rafael Delfin wrote:
I'm planning to get this license mainly for my home computer, and occasionally, at my office. But as you know and according to what I've read, the Freelance license does allow for its use within a LAN environment (your typical office network), and for that, they recommend the "Professional" edition which is 3 times more expensive.

Where did you get this information from?

According to the FAQs, Studio should work in a a network.

It would not work in a Domain-based LAN but it should work in a Workgroup-based LAN.

What kind of network do you have in your Office?

Daniel

PS. Here's the information about this in the SDL website.

http://www.sdl.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/faqs.html#tag10

Can I work with my SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance license on a network?

SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Edition is for personal use and will work on a workgroup-based network (such as a home wireless network), but cannot be used on domain-based networks. If you wish to work on both workgroup and domain-based networks, then you will need to purchase SDL Trados Studio Professional.

A workgroup-based network (also known as a 'peer-to-peer' network) is two or more computers that are networked together. No one machine is in charge, and security and other settings have to be made on each individual computer.

A domain-based network is where networked computers (either servers or clients) have a hierarchy. Security settings are determined on the domain controllers (servers) and each machine (client) is authenticated by a server when logging on.

Rafael Delfin
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Office LAN = Web Based Domain Network, right? Mar 6, 2014

Daniel García wrote:
Where did you get this information from?

I read it in the same page as you, along with a couple more questions:

---------------------
Can I work with my SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance license on a network?

SDL Trados Studio 2014 Freelance Edition is for personal use and will work on a workgroup-based network (such as a home wireless network), but cannot be used on domain-based networks. If you wish to work on both workgroup and domain-based networks, then you will need to purchase SDL Trados Studio Professional.

Can there be more than one instance of SDL Trados Studio Freelance running on the same network, at the same time?

Multiple instances are only possible on a Workgroup based (Peer-to-Peer) network, such as a home router on a home wireless network. If you require multiple instances operating on a domain based network, a Professional version is required.

What are the differences between Freelance and Professional versions?

A list of differences between the freelance and the professional version can be found on the 'Discover SDL Trados Studio' page. Also note that the freelance version is named to an individual rather than a company and does not operate in a domain based network.
---------------------

And as far as I know, your typical computer office network (With Server PCs and Client PCs) = LAN = Web Based Domain network

Do you happen to have a Freelance 2014 license? Can you test your installation in a networked PC in your office LAN?

[Edited at 2014-03-06 14:39 GMT]

Rafael Delfin
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Talked to TRADOS Mar 6, 2014

Well, why beat around the bush when able to talk to the source, right?

I chatted with someone at SDL and they confirm that indeed, the Freelance edition would simply not operate regardless of the situation of just being one person.

Oh well, didn't hurt to ask.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK, we we were using different concepts of LAN Mar 7, 2014

Rafael Delfin wrote:

And as far as I know, your typical computer office network (With Server PCs and Client PCs) = LAN = Web Based Domain network

OK, we were using different concepts of LAN.

For me, LAN = Local Area Network (any number of computers connected together with or without a server and not necessarily as part of a domain).

Indeed, the freelance version does not work in a domain-based LAN, although it will work in a workgroup based LAN.

Daniel

Rasmus Jakobsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Terrible service Jul 11, 2015

I have this problem too. I am not network expert, but I'm online from my mobile 4G connection. I don't know if that's a 'domain based network'. Regardlessly I am unable to use Trados from my laptop. My home PC works fine with Trados. I can't use that though, since I'm abroad and only brought my laptop with me. For the next weeks I am forced to do translations the old way in a standard text editor.

I wrote SDL about this, but they didn't even bother to reply. I will most definately not be upgrading the program beyond 2015, which I've sadly already paid for.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Who did you write to? Jul 11, 2015

Rasmus Jakobsen wrote:
I wrote SDL about this, but they didn't even bother to reply. I will most definately not be upgrading the program beyond 2015, which I've sadly already paid for.

Hi Rasmus,

We actually offer very good service, so I'd be interested to know who you wrote to? Notwithstanding this you can check whether you are connected to a domain based network or a workgroup like this;

1. Click on the Windows Start button
  2. Right-click on "Computer"
  3. Select "Properties"

You should see in the list of properties "Workgroup" and the name of your Workgroup, or "Domain" and the name of your Domain. If it says "Domain" then you do have a problem that we will need to help you with. So drop me an email (pfilkin@sdl.com) and we'll help to address this appropriately.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2014 Freelance in Network Environment?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search