Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:54
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
Mar 7, 2014

Hello all,

I work with Studio 2011 on a laptop (Lenovo) with AVG antivirus (free edition) installed. It might be relevant that I have recently updated to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.0. Since some days my computer automatically shuts down suddenly and without any warning several times a day.

I found out that it was because the CPU temperature gets too high and the reason for that seems to be that AVG is using 50-100% of the CPU when Trados is running.

Obviously Trados is constantly rewriting some files and AVG has to check them continuously. This seems quite strange, since it also happens when Trados is idle, when I am not actually working with it.

As I understand, the solution is to exclude some files from AVG protection. But which ones?

I will be grateful for any help. I am in the middle of a big project and I would hate to fry the CPU right now...

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Uninstall AVG Mar 7, 2014

I have just uninstalled AVG because I had a similar problem. My understanding is that if you are careful you do not really need an antivirus with Windows 8.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:54
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Try to exclude SDLTradosStudio.exe Mar 7, 2014

which by default can be found at the following path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio2\SDLTradosStudio.exe"

Windows 8 has an anti-virus by default, called Windows Defender which is quite good at catching threats in the form of malicious installation files, and if you also got the SmartScreen feature of Windows 8 (Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center > Change Windows SmartScreen Settings) turned on, there is really no need in my opinion for a third party anti-virus.

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
German to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mark and Shai, Mar 7, 2014

for the replies...

in the meantime I uninstalled AVG and installed Avtivir in its place. Everything seems to work fine!
I have my CPU temperature and CPU usage displayed live and I will follow it for some days and see what happens. In case of similar problems I will give it a try without a third party AV.

[Έγινε επεξεργασία στις 2014-03-07 09:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 and AVG antivirus

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search