Problem with Trados STARTER
Thread poster: savane3107
savane3107
savane3107
Local time: 04:36
Mar 13, 2014

Hi!

I have Trados Studio STARTER 2014 and german customers ask me increasingly to translate german tmx files and restore them to the same file in French.
I have struggled to import the tmx file, I even think I got there by chance because I think I did "translate a document alone" I took an ordinary word document and I then imported the tmx file which opened. But when I wanted to return the tmx file translated by: "batch tasks", "export" and "generate target translations", I g
... See more
Hi!

I have Trados Studio STARTER 2014 and german customers ask me increasingly to translate german tmx files and restore them to the same file in French.
I have struggled to import the tmx file, I even think I got there by chance because I think I did "translate a document alone" I took an ordinary word document and I then imported the tmx file which opened. But when I wanted to return the tmx file translated by: "batch tasks", "export" and "generate target translations", I get a word document and not a tmx document.

I think the problem is surely the import tmx file that was poorly made​​, do you know how a tmx file is imported with the Starter version?

Thank you in advance for your help
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:36
English
Not simple with Starter Mar 13, 2014

Hi,

There is a TMX filetype on the OpenExchange, so if you had the full version of Studio you would have two simple ways to handle this:

1. Install the free TMX filetype, use the AnyTM TM provider application to select the TM language direction you want, and just translate the TMX updating into the new French TM
  2. Install the TMX filetype, rename the German language code in the TMX as a French ... See more
Hi,

There is a TMX filetype on the OpenExchange, so if you had the full version of Studio you would have two simple ways to handle this:

1. Install the free TMX filetype, use the AnyTM TM provider application to select the TM language direction you want, and just translate the TMX updating into the new French TM
  2. Install the TMX filetype, rename the German language code in the TMX as a French language code, open the TMX in Studio (which will now be recognised as a French one) and just translate the TMX updating into the new French TM

You might also want to split the TMX into bite sized chunks first. I don't know who large these are, but adding anything more than 10,000 segments in a file in one go is going to give you performance issues, and in fact if it was me I’d break these into no more than 5000 segments at a time and then just create a project with all the files. in there separately. When you are done translating you’ll have one SDLTM that you can export to TMX to avoid having to join all the individual files back together again.

With Starter I guess you need to mess around a little more. You could convert the TMX to a bilingual excel file and then save it as a CSV (or several CSVs... but then in Starter you'd only be able to to handle one file at a time) which you could translate in Studio. Then update the translation into a new French TM and export from Studio as a TMX. There is a blog artocle explaining how to do the conversion here : http://blog.cinciala.eu/?p=1152

You could also use ApSIC Xbench to convert the TMX to Excel, and I’m sure there are plenty of users here with better ideas on how to achieve the same thing.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Trados STARTER

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »